Sports In Brief

Eskandarian selected with first pick in MLS Draft

Virginia forward Alecko Eskandarian was selected by D.C. United with the first pick in Friday's Major League Soccer SuperDraft.

Eskandarian, a junior from Montvale, N.J., elected to turn professional this season after winning the Herrmann Trophy as the nation's best player and the ACC Player of the Year award. He scored 25 goals last season.

"To be the first overall selection is a tremendous honor," Eskandarian said. "I'm an East Coast guy, but I understand that this is professional soccer and you've got to prove yourself wherever you go. I can't wait to start my professional career."

Eskandarian will join Santino Quaranta and World Cup veteran Earnie Stewart on D.C. United's front line.

Three other Cavaliers were selected in the draft. Goalkeeper David Comfort went to the Dallas Burn with the first pick of the third round and the 21st overall selection. The MetroStars took midfielder Kenny Arena in the fourth round with the 32nd pick and midfielder Jacob LeBlanc in the fifth round with the 42nd pick. In addition, Boston College goalkeeper Kyle Singer, who played for Virginia until 2002, was selected by the New England Revolution in the third round with the 29th overall pick.

Eskandarian and LeBlanc entered the draft through NIKE Project 40, which allows players to turn professional before they have exhausted their collegiate eligibility. The first five selections in the draft -- Eskandarian, Furman forward Ricardo Clark, Portland's Nate Jaqua, high school forward Mike Magee and North Carolina defender David Stokes -- all entered the draft through Project 40.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton