Two professors among top ten in Virginia

Two of the University's professors were named among the top 10 in Virginia by the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia last week.

Gov. Mark R. Warner announced Jan. 16 that Barbara Brodie of the Nursing School and Daniel Hallahan of the Education School received the annual Outstanding Faculty Awards, which are awarded to 10 faculty members from private and public colleges and universities around Virginia.

The awards recognize "superior accomplishments in teaching, research, and public service," according to the SCHEV Web site.

Winners receive $2,200 each. In previous years, award winners received $5,000 each, and 11 professors received the award.

Brodie and Hallahan both have taught at the University for at least 30 years. Brodie found out she would receive the award shortly before her retirement, which began Jan. 1.

"It's a superb way to end a career," she said.

Thirty-one colleges and universities nominated 76 professors for the awards, out of the nearly 10,000 faculty at eligible institutions.

Hallahan and Brodie both said they were surprised and honored to receive the award.

"It reflects well on the University at large and on the Curry School," Hallahan said.

Brodie said University faculty deserve more recognition.

"I've met many, many excellent teachers here," she said. "Somehow you don't always hear about that."

No University professor previously had won a SCHEV award since 1999. Nineteen University professors, of 194 total winners, have won the award since SCHEV started giving it out in 1987.

Both professors have earned high marks from their students at the University, while distinguishing themselves for innovations in research or University education.

Brodie spearheaded several innovations in nursing education, including doctoral education in nursing, nurse practitioner education, and clinically focused, master's-level nursing education.

Brodie was "always demanding" of her students, said Nursing School Dean Jeanette Lancaster, "but she helped them become more than they ever thought they were going to be. Her greatest joy was when students and young faculty achieved."

She is the first winner of the award from the Nursing School.

Hallahan co-founded the Center for Minority Research in Special Education and won an award in 2000 for his research on teaching techniques for students with attention deficits. He is the chairman of the Education School's Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education.

Lancaster and Education School Dean David Breneman both said Brodie and Hallahan were good "citizens of the University."

Both have shepherded other professors' careers, according to their deans.

"Not all faculty members appreciate that you're a citizen of the University," Lancaster said.

In 1997, University alumni selected Brodie as one of their 10 all-time favorite professors. Hallahan currently holds the Cavalier Distinguished Teaching Professorship, given only to one faculty member, for 2002-04.

Both professors have taught everything from introductory-level undergraduate classes to graduate-level seminars.

Hallahan said he views teaching as a privilege.

"We have so many fine, enthusiastic students here at the University that it makes teaching

I won't say it makes teaching easy, but it makes it a pleasure." he said.