Virginia closes out dual meet season, easily sinks Terps

Emotions ran high at the Aquatic and Fitness Center this weekend, as the nationally ranked Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving teams defeated Maryland's squads in the Cavaliers' final dual meet of the season. The 9th ranked men (8-1, 5-0 ACC) touched the wall first in all but one event, recording a score of 186-57 over unranked Maryland (4-7, 1-5). The 13th-ranked women (7-1, 4-1) brought home 10 out of 13 events, for a final score of Virginia 151, No. 15 Maryland, 92. Saturday's events marked the last competition time in the AFC pool for 13 graduating Cavaliers.

"We've been working hard all year with focus and determination," senior Dan Zurowski said. "We try to keep a good attitude, swim well and have fun. The result of this meet is proof of that."

Zurowski, one of eight seniors on the men's team, won two events Saturday, recording season-best times in both. He edged out the competition in the 200-yard freestyle (1 minute, 40.64 seconds), and the 200-yard butterfly (1:48.24).

Junior Luke Anderson and freshman Fran Crippen were the other double-event winners. Anderson touched first in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyles while three-time ACC Swimmer of the Week Crippen won the 1000-yard free and the 200-yard individual medley. Anderson also was part of the victorious 400-yard medley relay team.

The Terrapin men only won the last event of the day, the 400-yard freestyle relay. In total, eight different Cavaliers won individual events at Saturday's meet, resulting in the 129-point margin over Maryland.

"These athletes are part of a tradition that has enjoyed a lot of success," coach Mark Bernardino said. "They are extremely determined to maintain and continue that success."

While the men's team was continuing its winning ways, the women had a bit of a rivalry to address. Last year the Cavaliers traveled to Maryland for their final dual meet on Feb. 7. In a heartbreaking meet, the previously undefeated women's team fell 179-121 to the Terrapins.

"We paid Maryland as much due respect as they deserve," said Bernardino of this year's competition. "We came focused and determined to win."

Maryland won two of the first three events -- a scene reminiscent of last year's defeat. The Cavaliers came back strong however, and went on an eight-race winning streak. Their strong performance concluded with an exciting come-from-behind win in the 400-yard freestyle medley in which the team of sophomore Andrea Georoff, senior Lindsey Crane, sophomore Laura Lipskis and junior Carlie Dykehouse recorded a season best 3:26.22, edging out the Terrapins by 13 one-hundredths of a second.

"Maryland though it would be easy to win this meet," senior Mirjana Bosevska said. "We've proved them wrong."

Bosevska, one of five seniors and three multiple-event winners at Saturday's meet, set season best times in the 200-yard Individual Medley (2:01.22) and the 500-yard freestyle (4:48.97). Sophomore Andrea Georoff touched first in the 50 and 100 free, and senior Alison Sharp won both diving competitions.

Although this weekend's contest marked the final dual meet, the Virginia swimming and diving teams' seasons are far from over. The Women will compete in the 2003 ACC Championships in Chapel Hill, North Carolina from Feb. 20-22, while the men will race for their 5th consecutive ACC title on Feb. 27 through March 1.

"The word we've been saying all year is 'domination,'" Zurowski said. "The dual meets have shown that we've done that, and it's what we're going to do at ACC" championships.