A 'Dang' good time: Chi Phi presents show

Instead of the usual fare of going to a smoky bar to see a single act perform, U.Va students have an option of a different nature this weekend: Chi Phi's seventh annual Hoodang, a multi-band concert benefiting the American Cancer Society. Offering an outdoor set-up and seven fresh, up-and-coming bands, the event will allow concert-goers to eat, enjoy the weather, and watch the seven bands jam, while at the same time helping a good cause.

The tradition started in 1997, when Chi Phi brother Jay Silverman held the first benefit concert on the fraternity's front lawn. Since then, the event has grown into the largest benefit concert put on by a University Greek organization, with an expectant crowd of over 800 for the day.Past bands have included Guster, Jimmie's Chicken Shack and Fighting Gravity, and this year's line-up upholds the standard of having well-regarded bands perform.

"Contacting potential bands is a year-long process," Chi Phi's Hoodang chair Steve Shuster said. "In order to get national acts, we must submit a proposal to them and get it approved, which can take a week or longer per band."

This year's headliner is Lake Trout, a band that has toured with Blues Traveler and just completed a tour with Live. The Baltimore band has been around since the mid-1990s and consists of five members: James Griffith on bass, Ed Harris on guitar, Mike Lowry on drums, Matt Pierce on saxophone, flute, Rhodes and drum machine and Woody Ranere on guitar and vocals. The band's sound can be best described as "beat-based rock," according to Harris. Influences include DJ Shadow, Nirvana, Amon Tobin, Talking Heads, The Pixies and The White Stripes.

Lake Trout will perform songs from their first two albums, "Volume For the Rest of It" and "Alone At Last," as well as songs from their new album, "Another One Lost," which will be released in August. The band will tour nationally in the fall.

This is the first time the band will perform at Hoodang."We are just going to rock out like we always do," said Harris.

Another group performing at Hoodang is local band Cannonball Coming, who headlined the event last year. The band has developed a loyal fan base around Charlottesville by performing at places such as Michael's Bistro, the Mellow Mushroom and Starr Hill and has become well-known for being a four-piece improvisational jam band.

The band has been together for about three years and consists of guitarist Ryan Chiachiere, pianist Bryan Holmes, drummer Chip Ransler and new bassist Deke Shipp. Former bassist Ben Helman is pursing medical school.

Cannonball Coming is no stranger to benefit concerts. In addition to being a regular at Hoodang, the band also played at the Mellow Mushroom to raise money for the September 11th fund."During the concert, we had the audience members create a collaborative art piece. The piece was taken to New York City and displayed at the Conde Nast Museum," Ransler said.

The band plays original music as well as an eclectic range of covers, from Phish to Men at Work."Our influences are the blues, the Grateful Dead, Michael Bolton and John Tesh," Ransler joked.

All joking aside, Cannonball Coming has been working hard on their first album, which will feature all original music.It hopefully will be released this summer and help the band expand its fan base.

Other local bands performing at Hoodang include Monticello Road, a group that often headlines at Starr Hill and the Outback Lodge, that is known for their blend of rock, southern rock, blues and bluegrass and D-Style featuring Shuster, a jazz hip-hop band that also will feature rappers T and O.A number of out-of-town bands also will perform at the concert, including Boogiehawg, one of D.C.'s best-known funk acts; Zoso, a Led Zeppelin cover band; and Fletcher Bridge, a pure rock and roll band from Central Virginia.

The concert will take place rain or shine, with doors open at 12:30 P.M., lasting until around 8 P.M. Tickets are $8 in advance and can be bought on the Lawn or from any member of Chi Phi or the Virginia Dance Company. Food will be available and the Dance Company will be performing between sets throughout the day.Tickets also can be purchased at the door for $10 and t-shirts can be purchased for $12.

The concert is named Hoodang because the word is a synonym for "hoedown" or "party."With great bands, fun and food, the event should prove to be just that.

Editor's Note: Arts & Entertainment Editor Phil Runco, a member of Chi Phi, did not contribute to or edit this report.