Private donors fund fireworks display

For the second time in four years, the city of Charlottesville was in danger of celebrating Independence Day without a fireworks display. A group of private and corporate donors has come to the rescue, raising the funds necessary for the fireworks display to take place Friday at McIntire Park.

The Charlottesville Downtown Foundation sponsored the event the last two years. The fireworks show costs between $10,000 and $20,000 annually and the foundation, which is also responsible for Fridays After Five, decided not to put it on this year.

Upon hearing that no fireworks were scheduled, Ray Cadell, Bill Tucker, Dann Miller and Tom Powell organized the Save the Fireworks campaign.

"I was appalled that there would be no fireworks on the Fourth of July," Caddell said.

The Save the Fireworks committee received donations ranging from five dollars to $10,000, according to Caddell. All told, the committee raised more than $37,000.

Caddell said he was "elated" at the community's response to Save the Fireworks's efforts. His only complaint is a few critical letters to the editor complaining that money could be better spent elsewhere, or accusing the committee of supporting the war in Iraq. Caddell says those organizing the fireworks have no political message.

The fireworks display will begin Friday night at 9:15. Music will start at five. McIntire Park is the best place to watch the fireworks, according to Peter Plocek, Parks and Grounds Division manager. A shuttle will run to there from K-Mart and the Albemarle County Office Building. Parking also is available at Charlottesville High School, within walking distance of the park. Alcohol and private fireworks are prohibited.

Although the city did not help finance the fireworks, it is providing security, transportation and cleaning service free of charge.

In order to ensure that the hometown of the author of the Declaration of Independence isn't without fireworks in years to come, the Save the Fireworks committee already has begun fundraising for next year.

The committee's goal is to raise $350,000, which they believe will be enough to finance the fireworks for the foreseeable future, according to Caddell.

"We hope to announce significant donations on Friday," Caddell said.