A new assembly for the Old Dominion

What do diminutive, washed-up child actors, buff Austrian action stars, alleged car thieves, disabled smut peddlers, strippers, porn stars and men with names like "Cruz" and "Gray" have in common?

If you said none of these people are running in this fall's elections for the Virginia General Assembly, you would probably be right.

Yet although elections for the Virginia state Senate and House of Delegates lack the star power and zany hijinks of the California recall election, the results of the elections do have important implications for the future of the Commonwealth.

With all 140 seats in the General Assembly up for grabs on November 4 the elections could affect the balance of power between Assembly Republicans and Gov. Mark R. Warner over the next two years, as well as the fate of tax reform, an issue that has bedeviled Virginia policymakers for years.

Primary Politics

Though general election campaigns for the General Assembly are just gearing up, the Old Dominion already has been through a season of hotly contested primary elections earlier this year.

Most of the competitive primaries were on the Republican side, where conservative activists offered a qualification to Ronald Reagan's 11th commandment, "never speak ill of a fellow Republican,"