Course Offering Decisions

Once again it is almost time to choose classes for next semester.

The new Course Offering Directory was posted online late last week, and although many students said they were unaware that it is available, others already have begun thinking about their new schedules.

Second-year College student Jeff Bean said he hasn't looked at the new COD yet, but he wasn't concerned.

"I usually base my classes on what has the most interesting name," Bean said.

He said he also chooses based on suggestions from his older sister, Echols reviews and how quickly classes fill up.

As a transfer to the College from the Engineering school, Bean said he is enjoying his newfound freedom to choose classes he is interested in although he has been unable to choose a major.

"I haven't taken two of any single subject yet except Econ," he said.

Students who had already viewed the COD expressed different reactions to their potential schedules for next semester.

Fourth-year College student Greg Nizewitz said there are fewer courses he wants to take this semester than in the past.

"It just seems like there's a lot less diversity in the classes," Nizewitz said.

As a history and politics double major, he said he will be able to find enough classes to take, but he does not expect to enjoy them as much as usual. He was also disappointed that one history class he is interested in is being offered at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Third-year College student Jamie Williams was similarly disappointed by the lack of new classes being offered.

"It's harder to find classes for financial reasons," Williams said. "We have to make due with what we have."

She said that as one of few Anthropology majors, she should be able to get all the classes in the department that she is interested in, but there are few classes being offered that are different from last semester.

"I'm sometimes disappointed by that but sometimes professors get stuck doing something basic because of funding," she said. "I'd like to get to hear what they have to say on a bunch of different topics."

She said she has thought about doing an independent study to combine her interests.

Fourth-year College student Heather Comstock said she felt differently.

As a politics major, Comstock said she mostly only viewed course offerings in that department, and she was pleased with the selection.

First-year College student Tony Caputo said he had looked at the new COD "for a few seconds."

Looking to take classes in the humanities and social sciences, Caputo said he didn't really notice anything dramatically different from last semester. Consequently, he said he isn't worried about his class selection.

"I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not counting on getting into everything I want," he said.

Unlike College students, many Engineering students said they were not very concerned with the new COD because they have very little freedom in course selection anyway.

Third-year Engineering student Jane Kim said she only gets to choose one technical elective. The courses being offered were what Kim expected with the one exception of a class being taught later in the day, something she was happy about.

First-year Engineering student Geoffrey Leonard said he has a slightly greater ability to choose classes.

Aside from one elective choice within the Engineering school, Leonard also has the option of choosing a class from within the College.

He said he plans to choose a class from either the Spanish or Philosophy departments.

"I think there's a lot of different courses," he said. "The College is huge."