Deeper murder coverage

LAST MONDAY's paper reported the news that 22-year-old Charlottesville resident Walker Andrew Sisk was stabbed to death at 14th and Wertland streets. Adding to that awful news was the fact that the alleged killer is part of the University community, third-year College student Andrew Alston. Treated appropriately layout-wise as the most important article of the day (and week, honestly), the piece featured a banner headline and a Daily Progress photo from the crime scene.

The article and its follow-up stories throughout the week, however, left many questions unanswered. The first story on the murder only recounted the incident in the first six paragraphs. The rest of the article was a profile of the victim and a report on the last murder involving a student of the University. These details are important, but, before they are laid out, other questions need to be addressed.

Why did the suspect kill the victim? Were there any witnesses to this crime? How did the two men know each other? Why did they encounter each other? How was the suspect arrested? Where did the weapon come from, and what became of it?

Of course, gathering information such as this on a Sunday can be difficult, but attempts to do so at least need to be demonstrated.

Tuesday's paper relegated a follow-up piece to "News in Brief" status, and the tidbit on page A3 only added to Monday's story by indicating that the accused killer had been suspended by University officials (an action that had apparently taken place Saturday, so it could have been included in Monday's paper). On Wednesday, readers learned that the suspect "looked normal." (Plaguing the subhead of the lead story were two spelling typos, a problem that the CD has a bit too often.) Why were only neighbors interviewed in this follow-up article? What about the suspect's friends, professors, advisors or deans? Readers learned that the suspect had assault charges pending that were levied by his ex-girlfriend. When is or was the trial for that charge? University spokesperson Carol Wood told the CD that the University had been unaware of the charges. How often does the University become aware of criminal charges pending against its students? Is such knowledge supposed to be collected as a regular practice or not, as this case suggests?

Throwing stones

On Wednesday the lead editorial, a dismissal of a supposed rivalry with the University of Maryland, sarcastically recounted a list of reasons the Terps find themselves above the Cavs, including the assertion that Maryland has a "number of journalism graduates fired from the New York Times after falsifying stories." The referenced "graduate" in question, the word-thieving Jayson Blair, never took a degree from Maryland. It's fine every once in awhile to be playful in the Opinion section, but always get the facts right. Also, the Cav Daily would be wise to recall the old adage about living in glass houses. The CD should recall its own struggles with plagiarism before poking fun at others for the same sin.

Two wrongs don't make it right

Filled with the same problems of the article on an Israeli student and soldier referenced in this space last week was Tuesday's Life profile of a Palestinian student. Like the earlier article on the Israeli student, this piece featured no words from mouths other than the person profiled. Like I said last week, this is a risky practice. The first article printed, with its skew toward Israelis, is not remedied by producing an equally skewed article toward Palestinians.

Show and tell

Friday's front page featured an article that was supposed to illustrate how the ACC expansion will improve the graduate rate of the schools involved. The article failed to mention, however, just how what was asserted in the headline would be done. It told us only how the graduation rate was defined and that a study declared that it will increase 1 percent with the conference expansion. How? Why? When? And where did the rest of the article go?

The front page also held a story that day on efforts to foster a more cohesive community on the Range. Illustrating the community, however, was a drab photo of doors. Why not attend and photograph an event sponsored by the community being fostered, like the charity event on the East Range Saturday night? Kudos to the staff for remembering to include graduate students as part of the greater University community, but next time, show, don't just tell.

Also, did the University do anything to commemorate Veterans Day last Tuesday? Did anyone in Charlottesville? Readers wouldn't know by picking up the CD; it regrettably let the day go by unnoticed.

Best all around

The Sports pages last week made a great effort to include sports outside the realm of football and basketball. Coverage of soccer is generally regular, but thankfully the Sports staff doesn't stop there. An article on the Swimming and Diving teams led Monday's section. A profile of a cross-country runner ran Tuesday (though, admittedly, it reads more like a column than a feature). Columnist Jessica Garrison used her weekly space to discuss the crew team. The Sports staff is doing a good job covering its many beats.

(Emily Kane can be reached at ombud@cavalierdaily.com.)