Searching for a Future

As graduating fourth years finally log in to ISIS to complete final registration, they are forced to confront the reality of their final semester. In answer to the question "Do you expect to receive a degree at the end of this semester?" they have to click "Yes."

But then what?

After more than 16 years of academic life, fourth years have to decide what their next step should be. Some will find jobs -- some already have -- while others will continue their student lives by going to graduate or professional school. But no matter where they end up, second semester of fourth year can be a difficult time of indecision.

On the Fence

Fourth-year College student Genevieve Cauchon-Voyer, an environmental science major, is currently applying to graduate schools for geology.

She said the process has been time-consuming and somewhat stressful.

"In science you need to find an advisor, someone who is doing research, who has to agree on taking you as a research assistant. So it's basically like getting a job," Cauchon-Voyer said. "I've been e-mailing people, sending them my resume, telling them that I've read some of their publications and telling them that I would be interested in working with them."

Cauchon-Voyer said she spent at least 10 days over break, sun up to sun down, working on the application process. Since she returned to school she has obtained one last reference letter and e-mailed at least 20 professors all over the country. She then has to reply to all of the different questions they send her.

"I'm supposed to call someone early next week to do a phone interview, which is also a really challenging thing to do," Cauchon-Voyer said. "I'm putting in all this time because if I'm about to do it, I want to do it right."

The deadline for applications to two of her schools was yesterday, so she will probably start hearing back in March.

But Cauchon-Voyer said she is not unreasonably stressed.

"If they don't see that I won't be a good candidate, maybe I'm not meant to do it right now," Cauchon-Voyer said. "I can work for a couple of years and then apply again. I don't see right now as the final decision. If this is really what I want to do, I'll make it happen."

Climbing the Ladder

Not surprisingly, many of the students who already have jobs are enrolled in the Commerce school.

Fourth-year Commerce student Saboora Bhuta did an internship with J.P. Morgan in New York over the summer and interviewed for a job with them then. In October she decided she would definitely go back.

She'll be working in investment banking, and while she's not sure that's the career she wants for life, she does think it will be very valuable experience.

"I think I want to do something in finance," Bhuta said. "I want to go back to school eventually. I'm not really sure if I want to stay in this industry, but I think I'll learn a lot and see if it's something I want to pursue."

Whether or not she ends up staying with investment banking, Bhuta said it's definitely a relief to know what she's doing after graduation -- she starts work in July.

"It's almost like looking for a job is another class to deal with," Bhuta said. "It's definitely a relief to get it over with and not have to spend the time on it. I know for a lot of people the uncertainty is kind of stressful."

Back to School

Fourth-year College student Provi Spina thought during most of her third year that she might like to go to law school, but taking anti-trust with Economics Prof. Ken Elzinga clinched the deal.

So she started preparing for her LSATs second semester of last year, and then took the test in June. After she finished with the extensive application process, all she could do was wait -