Billet solidifies clutch shooter status

I could think of some clever lead or I can just flat out say it: Todd Billet is the best clutch shooter that I have ever seen. For the third time in the last four games, the senior guard connected on a game winning three-point basket to propel Virginia to victory. This time, targeting North Carolina as the victim of his heroics, Billet connected from long range to give Virginia a 74-72 lead with 10 seconds left. With the bucket, Billet added another notch to his belt that already includes game winning shots against Georgia Tech and Clemson.

Down by one, the Cavaliers had the ball with 23 seconds left. Coming off an Elton Brown screen up top, Billet rolled right and squared up to the basket. Though the play that was run gave Billet several options, the 7,429 spectators in U-Hall all knew who was going to take that shot. Indeed, the thousands of Cavalier fans hoped that Billet could once again provide some magic. As the three-pointer hit nothing but the bottom of the net, their hopes were answered.

"There was no doubt that he was going to shoot it," Virginia coach Pete Gillen said. Seemingly stunned, Gillen acknowledged that the performance of Billet is something that he has not seen in his 19 years of coaching. "I've never had any player do anything like this."

Finishing with 12 points, six assists, three rebounds and only two turnovers, Billet made the only three points he scored in the second half count.

"That's what I have to do as a senior, step up and make big plays," Billet said after the game. "I just wanted to keep an aggressive mindset, I knew I was going to get a good look at it."

As the desperation fade away jumper from Raymond Felton fell short, Cavalier faithful stormed onto the court. Billet ran circles around the court. A smile stretched across his face as he celebrated with one finger raised in the air. Enjoying the moment. Enjoying his moment.

Even the opponents had to tip their cap to Todd Billet on this day. Customarily, opponents quickly flee when a storm of students swarm the floor. However, Tar Heel coach Roy Williams made it a point to seek out Todd Billet and congratulate him.

"I congratulated him, I told him he was a special kid," Williams said. "He's got big time guts and is willing to make big time plays. As a coach you have to admire people like that, and I admire him."

First the Yellow Jackets, then the Tigers and now the Tar Heels. It is almost unfathomable to put into perspective what Billet has done for the Cavaliers as the conference season winds down. To put it bluntly, these shots from Billet have meant the difference between a 2-12 conference record and a 5-9 conference record. These shots from Billet have also meant the difference between a Cavalier team stumbling in to the play in game of the ACC tournament, and a Cavalier team that boasts a confidence and even dreams of meaningful post-season games.

"It's a great feeling," Billet said. "I don't want the season to end."

Elton Brown echoed his teammate's sentiments.

"[Todd] said that 'the tunnel's getting smaller for him and he can see the end.'" Brown said. "Todd said 'theres nothing like college basketball,' so he's playing to the fullest in his last few games."

Behind clutch performances like this one from Todd Billet, the Cavaliers will have a good chance of making that tunnel a little bit longer.