Cavaliers gain confidence, poise

If you look really closely you can see it. Or at least you can see the beginnings of it. The last three weeks have marked a change with the Virginia men's basketball team. No one has slimmed down, bulked up or healed up. This change is bigger than physical. The last five games have marked a change in the attitude of the Virginia Cavaliers. Over the stretch, Virginia has developed a confidence that has had positive results on the hardwood. For the Cavaliers, this new attitude has led to the realization that there's still a lot of basketball left to be played this season.

"We're getting more confident," Virginia coach Pete Gillen said. "It's the desire. We've been working on drills but it has nothing to do with drills, it's all about heart and determination."

In Virginia's 74-72 win over North Carolina, nowhere was this more evident than in the rebounding margin. Despite being statistically the worst rebounding team in the ACC, Virginia out-rebounded North Carolina 41 to 35. The 18 offensive rebounds grabbed by Virginia are seven more than the 10.9 offensive rebounds that the Cavaliers average per conference game.

"They're bigger than us but tonight we wanted the ball a little bit more," Gillen said after the game. "They really wanted the ball, but we had to have it."

Keep in mind that it wasn't too long ago that Gillen's postgame press conferences all sang a similar tune. Gillen often referred to the familiar boxing reference of his young team backing down to the opponents' big blow. Yet over the last five games, the tables have turned. No longer bowing down from the blows, the Cavaliers are ready, willing and able to respond.

"I think being one of the youngest teams in the conference, our freshmen are really starting to mature and step up in ways in which freshmen usually don't step up," senior tri-captain Todd Billet said. "Not so much in scoring, but the little things. Guys are learning how to contribute to the team's wins without necessarily scoring 15 points. I think that is really showing up."

Granted the Cavaliers have suffered two losses in this five game span -- the most recent at the hands of Florida State in which Virginia was plagued by the problems that normally accompany them on the road. The other loss in the span was at Duke, on the hallowed ground of Cameron Indoor Stadium, a place where Duke has won over 80 percent of their games since its opening. Despite the atmosphere, the Cavaliers battled and hung tight with then-No.1 Duke well into the second half. Albeit the 3-2

mark over this span is far from awe-inspiring, the mental growth that has coincided with it is promising as Virginia looks to end the regular season strong.

"Our kids are getting confidence," Gillen said. "They're feeling like if the game is close they have a chance to win. I usually tell them during the game 'we're going to win,'" Gillen said. "Maybe they're starting to believe."

Beyond believing, the Cavaliers are starting to dream of dancing come March. Something that would have been unthinkable weeks ago, the Cavaliers are entertaining thoughts of battling it out in the NCAA tournament.

"We still feel we have a chance to go to the tournament," forward Elton Brown said. "This is the toughest conference in the country. A lot of people talk about six or seven teams from the conference going to the tournament. We want to keep winning so we know that if there's any doubt it will be 'we have to get them in.'"

Billet, who has put the Cavaliers on his shoulders with three deciding three-pointers in the three victories, echoed the sentiments of Brown.

"I'm a senior, I don't want this season to end," Billet said. "I want this season to be special for everyone."