So I got that going for me... which is nice

THE ONLY reason I'm writing this is because three and a half years ago, I got cut from the U.Va. Club Water Polo team. I gave it my all, and if the coach had been a little more sympathetic, I'd probably be finishing up my fourth year as a slighly less than mediocre water polo player.

The night I was cut, I called up the Cav Daily office, and managed to scramble two tryout columns together by the end of the week to apply to be an Opinion columnist. I never would have imagined that it would turn into one of the most rewarding and wonderful experiences of my life.

It's difficult to convey just how much the Cav Daily has meant to me, and how much I cherish every moment I've spent down at the office. It's truly gratifying to invest so much time and energy into a job, and get so much out of it. Everyone on the Cav Daily has affected me in a profound way, and I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to spend my college career working in the basement of Newcomb Hall.

The level of dedication by the Cav Daily staff is unbelievable, and the enthusiasm, energy and kindness of everyone makes you want to spend as much time as you can at the office. I wish I could use this space to personally thank everyone who has touched my life, and let them know just how much they mean to me -- but it would take up considerably more space than I have here, which is a testament to the sheer number of fantastic, kind and talented people there are at the Cav Daily.

To the no-longers,

Emily, you're one of the best friends I've had here at U.Va., and one of the reasons I kept going at the Cav Daily. I don't think I've met someone as good-natured and kind as you, and I've definitely missed you this past semester. Thank you for your friendship and keeping me on track to have the experience of a lifetime.

Laura, my co-editor and the sister I never had, I appreciate all the fun we had (electing Horace Cheeseman to Student Council, for instance) and all the times I could lean on you for strength. We may have failed to make the opinion page our own tool for spreading liberal propaganda across Grounds, but I made a life-long friend in the meantime. Thank you for everything.

To the has-beens,

Andrew, I don't think I ever got the chance to tell you how much I respect you and how talented I think you are. You managed to tame an incredibly difficult job at the Cav Daily, and kept your humor throughout.

Guillaume, it's sad to think of how hard Chris and Andrew tried to be cool, when it was obvious that our office was so much cooler. And for someone who speaks French as a first language, you certainly had a good enough grasp on English to nit-pick my edits every day. Any time you want to get together for some freedom fries, let me know.

Justin, I can't think of anyone I respect as much as you (as hard as I might try). While it's somewhat unnerving to say that to such a cold-hearted conservative, every time we'd butt heads I'd come out of the discussion with more respect for you and your convictions. It's rare to come across someone so level-headed and together -- and I'll always aspire to be as strong a leader as you've been.

To the up-and-comers,

Leah, your dedication is what the Cav Daily is all about. You know your job inside and out, and you're always willing to give more than you need to. Josh, I don't think I've seen anyone as generous with their time and energy as you are, and you're definitely going to love your next year. Kara, you've got the drive and knowledge that the Cav Daily needs in its leadership, and I hope that your job will be as rewarding to you as you have been to the newspaper.

Becky, as much as I'd like to think of you as my "protégé," the truth is that you have enough talent and skill to succeed at whatever you put your mind to. I was just lucky enough to be around when you did that at the Cav Daily. I'm thankful for the chance to work with you, I'm grateful for your friendship, and I'm thrilled that you're going to have the same fantastic experience I was fortunate enough to have.

Chris, I wish everyone could have seen as closely as I have the dedication you've given to the newspaper, the perseverance you've exhibited in the face of adversity, and the skill with which you've handled one of the toughest jobs at the University. I'm proud to be able to call you my friend, and wish you the best in the next year.

Pat, you're a fantastic writer, thorough editor, and all-around good guy -- you've got a long road ahead at the Cav Daily, and I hope you're looking forward to it. Maggie, regardless of my liberal rantings and our constant (though good-natured) bickering, I'll definitely miss you, and hope that your time with the CD will be a lot of fun. Anthony, you're a great guy, and I know your steadfast commitment to your ideals will serve you well in whatever you pursue. Dan, Whitney and Elliot, good luck in the coming year, I know you'll serve the page well. Alec, you're hands-down the best writer I've read, and I hope that your talent goes to good use once you graduate.

Alexis, "BB," you're truly a great friend, thanks for always listening to me and always being up for cavorting. Sharon, you've been a consistent smile for me for the past three years. Generations of Cav Daily staffers have been touched by your kindness, and hopefully generations more will as well. Keep the basement a bright place.

My one regret is that I didn't get to spend as much time out of the basement as I'd like -- and good people certainly aren't limited to the Cav Daily offices. To my roommates over the years, Scott, Sara, Jake, Susie and Melissa, thanks for being good friends and always giving me a safe haven from the basement.

To my professors, TAs and instructors, thank you for being understanding at sometimes trying times. To everyone in Sustained Dialogue -- particularly Priya -- thanks for having patience and helping me along an incredible educational journey.

To Heather, Kathy, and Eve: Thanks for putting up with me and making me laugh -- and sorry for ruining your reputations. For everyone's information, Heather is not a lesbian, Kathy is not my girlfriend, and Eve is not a scat porn freak.

To Chris, C-man, and yes, I'm not afraid to say it, "Pookie," I've appreciated every day we've been together. You're one of the best things that's happened to me, and I'm so happy to be a part of your life.

To the fam, Mom, Dad, Danny and Jimmy, I'm sorry I didn't make the trek up to Connecticut more often. Thank you for always being there, for doing everything you can for me and for always being behind me. I can't even begin to tell you how much strength you've given me over the years.

Probably the highest compliment I can pay is to tell someone that they make me laugh, or that they make me smile. I can't even begin to count how many smiles and laughs I've had during my time at U.Va. and the Cav Daily, but it's enough to last me a lifetime.