Student Council stands by Pep Band

Student Council overwhelmingly passed a resolution last night supporting the Virginia Pep Band's participation in certain athletic and University events.

"Council supports the co-existence of two bands, the Virginia Pep Band and the U.Va. Cavalier Marching Band," the resolution declared.

Numerous Pep Band members have attended Council meetings for the past few weeks to champion the resolution.

"The spirit of the resolution is that there is a place for student governance to support the University Pep Band," Pep Band Director Scott Hayes said. "Our alumni support has been demonstrated, and we feel that there is support for us in the student body. This is the avenue for it to be demonstrated."

In the resolution, Council urged the Athletic Department and the Cavalier Marching Band to allow the Pep Band to perform at athletic events such as soccer, lacrosse and baseball games.

"I think that there is enough room for two bands at the University," Vice President of Administration Will Sowers said. "My hope is that with our help we can work this situation out and have a relationship that is win-win on all sides."

Sowers, who co-sponsored the resolution with College Rep. Sarah Outten, added that the University was in the midst of developing a top-notch music program, which would probably attract a greater number of musicians to the University community. For musicians unable or unwilling to invest the time the marching band requires, the Pep Band would be an attractive alternative, he said.

According to Sowers, the next step in the process will consist of meeting with representatives from Student Council, the Pep Band, the marching band and the Athletic Department to formulate a satisfactory agreement.

"We hope that this [resolution] will encourage those with decision-making power to see that the student body wants us to continue to have a role," Hayes added.