Homecomings spirit shines through rain

A tornado warning didn't scare everyone away from Friday night's Homecomings festivities.

Although the second annual event moved from the Mad Bowl to Memorial Gymnasium because of inclement weather, it managed to attract over 1,500 students, said Farah Dilber, University Programs Council summer programs chair.

"It was really successful in spite of the rain," Dilber said. "I was thrilled with the turnout."

UPC officials said they expected around 750 students to show up, and the actual numbers far exceeded that figure -- reaching the maximum capacity for Mem Gym.

The festivities featured performances from Step It Up, Sharaara (a Southeast Asian Dance troupe), the Pep Band, the Virginia Belles and the African Drum and Dance Ensemble.

Members of the marching band also performed with the University cheerleaders and dance team, and attendees participated in team competitions and a pep rally that included an appearance by football coach Al Groh along with the football team. Everyone then joined in for a rendition of the "Good Ol' Song" led by the Virginia Gentlemen.

Homecomings ended with a grand finale concert from the West Coast-based band Stroke 9.

The decision to move the event inside was made Thursday afternoon when the threat of Hurricane Ivan became too great to ignore, Dilber said.

As a result of the change in venues, UPC was forced to eliminate one of the two stages they had planned to use for student performances. This subsequently required the performances be shortened because of a lack of stage space.

"Ultimately, we didn't have to compromise much by moving indoors," Dilber said.

Aramark donated thousands of dollars in carnival food to the event, and Mel's Café provided hamburgers and hotdogs, all of which was free to participants.

Dilber said Homecomings was made possible by donations from six sponsors: UPC, Student Council, the Office of Development, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, University Athletics and Alumni Hall.

All sponsors of this year's Homecomings festivities agreed to a three-year contract with UPC, saying that they will contribute financially to the event for the next two years, UPC Special Programs Chair Kate Daughdrill said.

Friday night's festivities alone were estimated to have cost $40,000, Daughdrill said.

This is the second annual Homecomings event since its revival after a more than decade-long hiatus, said Brigitte Hoyer, UPC Student Council and athletic affairs chair.

"We want to encourage other groups to use this weekend in the future and make it a big event," Hoyer said.

Friday night's pep rally was just one in an entire weekend of events organized for students, alumni and members of the community by UPC.

"Our intention is to create something uniquely U.Va., so that we can celebrate all the aspects of our University," Daughdrill said.