Traveling across Midwest, absorbing college basketball as it was meant to be

SOMEWHERE ON I-70, Ill. -- As I traverse the width of Illinois for the third time in as many days, shuttling back and forth between the men's and women's Final Fours in St. Louis and Indianapolis, respectively, I grow increasingly road weary from having cruised monotonous Midwestern highways the last nine days. The road has taken its toll physically, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

When Sports Illustrated On Campus invited me to join the third leg of its March Madness Road Trip, I jumped at the chance to see my first live tournament action as an undergraduate student. The sight of University Athletic Director Craig Littlepage, chair of next year's NCAA men's basketball committee, on the court after North Carolina's win Monday night was the closest I ever came to seeing Virginia in the tourney in my four years at the University.

As for the future of our program, rest assured that I'm doing my part as salesman. I bumped into rumored Virginia candidate and current Kentucky coach Tubby Smith at the Harlem Globetrotters vs. College All-Stars game. After posing for a quick picture with the man, I thanked him for his time and then said, "I just want you to know that Virginia is a beautiful place." He nodded and coldly asked, "Is it?" before turning his back and walking away. Well, at least I tried.

After flying into Dallas last Sunday to meet up with the previous leg of the road trip, we began our basketball pilgrimage by heading up I-35 toward Lawrence, Kan. where we visited the University of Kansas and the grave of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. For the record, I am now the proud owner of a heavily discounted Kansas "March to the Arch" t-shirt, and for some reason my frequent mentions of Bucknell received icy stares.

When Naismith designed basketball as a fitness activity for kids at a YMCA in Springfield, Mass., he clearly could not have had any idea what was to come. With the entire city of St. Louis revolving around college basketball from Thursday through Monday and with scalped tickets for Saturday's semi-final games going for $2,500 and higher, the Final Four has become a commercial extravaganza beyond my expectation and comprehension. My appreciation goes out to St. Louis for doing a marvelous job hosting the event and to its city police department for allowing the ticket reacquisition process to go unhindered (because scalping is such an ugly word).

After basking in the spectacle of the event for three days, it was easy to lose sight of the forthcoming games, but come Saturday, it was time for the actual basketball. My ticket for the event was squarely in the Michigan State student section. Having met and befriended the MSU mascot, Sparty, earlier in the week at the women's regional final game in Kansas City, I was already feeling a growing affinity for East Lansing and enjoyed watching the contests from the lively and creative Izzone.

With no strong rooting interest for any of the Final Four teams, all weekend I was faced with the eternal conundrum of cheering on my fellow ACC compatriots or continuing to root against the team I hated all season. Ultimately, though, I somewhat reluctantly chose conference allegiance for the title game. I was surprised all weekend at the depth of those conference loyalties, as Michigan State and Illinois fans openly rooted for each other, even organizing a t-shirt exchange and uniting in cheers for the Big Ten. Seeing an ACC team cut down the nets, however, was comforting for this Virginia fan, who saw firsthand both UNC routs of the 'Hoos.

Besides taking in one of the most thrilling championship games in recent memory, everything about the trip has been truly memorable. From going clubbing with Vermont's T.J. Sorrentine to having a drink with Duke's J.J. Redick (who, by the way, is underage) to meeting three very lovely St. Louis Rams cheerleaders to holding one of Cliff Levingston's Bulls NBA championship rings to spotting Michael Jordan 10 feet away to sitting a row in front of Jay-Z and Beyonce at the men's title game, it's been a fun and endlessly random trip of basketball, celebrity and cornfields. (And, yes, you read that right -