Homecomings fans don ribbons for peers

University students and administrators distributed 60,000 black ribbons over the weekend as part of an administration-led, week-long campaign to unify the community.

Last Friday, 10,000 black ribbons were distributed to places around Grounds where students could pick them up, including the University Health System, the Law School, the Darden School, the Newcomb Hall information desk and Observatory Hill Dining Hall, University spokesperson Carol Wood said.

The remaining 50,000 were distributed at Scott Stadium by student and faculty volunteers with small cards that explained the purpose of the ribbons.

Volunteers also wore orange T-shirts with a black ribbon on the front and a similar message promoting unity on the back. T-shirts were purchased with a private donation, according to Virginia Carter, director of external communications in the Office of the Vice President.

The ribbon distribution was handled by Daisy Rodriguez and Clarybel Peguero of the Dean of Students Office.

Some students said they felt it was important that the impetus for the ribbon campaign come from the administration.

"It shows effort on behalf of the administration and people in the community that they want to make it more of a public issue, and they can see that people take it seriously and are thinking about it," Student Council Rep. Tim Gibson said.

Before the kickoff of the football game, a message was broadcasted from University President John T. Casteen, III explaining the need for unity and the importance of supporting each other by wearing the black ribbons. The video, which featured some of the material from his Sept. 16 speech at the Rotunda, was made specifically for the game, Wood said.

Some students said they think the ribbon campaign promotes awareness and inclusion of all groups.

"I like how it's inclusive and it's not just about intolerance against the African-American community," Minority Rights Coalition Chair Adrienne Patton said. "I think it's helping to make it visible that students are really taking a stand that they don't accept this kind of intolerance. People forget that you have to see the number of individuals that are personally taking a stand against it."

Still, other students said that, despite the administration's effort to publicize the message behind the black ribbons, not everyone will understand the issues.

"I definitely don't think it was adopted by everyone," Gibson said. "Not everyone is going to wear them or see the point to them. I don't see how wearing a ribbon says if you are 'for or against anything.' It serves to provide awareness about the issue."

The ribbon campaign will be extended until Fall Break, Wood said.

"President Casteen decided to extend it by one week because the momentum was beginning to build," she said. "He thought it would be good to extend it up until Fall Break"