Let the Pep Band play

For many first years, the phrase "pep band" probably brings to mind something from high school. It has been several years since the University's Pep Band, an eccentric, often controversial student-run scramble band, was exiled from playing at University athletic events. Yet in spite of this fiat and in the true spirit of student self-governance, the Pep Band has survived. In addition to playing at club sport events, the group performed at a Washington Nationals game last year and is performing on Saturday at a Washington Capitals game. It's long past time for the athletic department to get over its grudge and let the Pep Band play at varsity sports the University band program declines to attend.

Though the history of the conflict between the athletic department and the Pep Band that led to the Pep Band's dismissal is complicated, it boils down to the fact that the Pep Band had a tendency to perform provocative shows. The final straw was a performance at the 2003 Contential Tire Bowl, which many deemed offensive to West Virginians. Yet after the creation of the successful Cavalier Marching Band to handle musical duties at football and the HOOps band for basketball games, the Pep Band came back this past summer with a far tamer proposal.

The Pep Band, attractive to many students for its less time-intensive commitment and quirky nature, asked to be allowed to play at certain varsity sports -- soccer, lacrosse, etc. -- and even offered to exclusively perform the band program's music. Moreover, the Pep Band made the concession that while at athletic venues, they would "be subject to and comply with the direction and control of athletic department officials and employees." Pep Band members would also sign contracts agreeing to behave appropriately and be subject to sanction if they broke that bond.

The application was rejected.

The athletic department has few legs to stand on when it comes to their continued stubbornness about the Pep Band. Their arguments, as presented to the Pep Band, boil down to two points: First, that the fans would be confused by the presence of different groups, and second, that the broader band program will eventually cover all varsity sports. Setting aside the implied contention that University fans are idiots, the fact remains that the band program has not been attending the other sports. According to David Black, head of Friends of the Virginia Pep Band, a supportive alumni group, the band program has only sent performers to five lacrosse games in the past two years and nowhere else. In an e-mail, University Band Director Bill Pease said it has not been determined which games the band program will play at in the coming year.

The band program should of course get first priority for performing at games. But the Pep Band provides a student-run supplement which can add flavor and cheer to sports which currently play in silence. By stipulating to a huge number of concessions and offering to include any band program members who want to play with them, the Pep Band has made a tremendous show of good faith. There is no reason to think the previous problems will persist; in a letter provided to The Cavalier Daily by Black supporting the Pep Band, Roger Voisnet, head of the Virginia Ice Hockey Club, wrote that his experiences with the Pep Band had been "nothing but positive." The athletic department and band program's continued refusal to let the Pep Band have a crack at varsity sports is irrational and approaching mean-spirited.

In 2004, Student Council passed a resolution urging the fruitful coexistence of the two bands. That has been ignored. The Pep Band has addressed most if not all of the athletic department's earlier concerns. That has been ignored. The Pep Band can elevate the experience of University fans and athletes while posing little to no monetary or public relations risk. The University must stop ignoring them.