Students wear T-shirts for first-ever "De-stereotype Day"

One thousand T-shirts were distributed by Sustained Dialogue yesterday for its first-ever "De-stereotype Day," an event that attempted to raise awareness of racial stereotypes among students.

According to former Sustained Dialogue chair Jessica Fowler, this event shows that Sustained Dialogue wants to change the environment around the University.

Various organizations throughout the University supported this event including Jewish student organizations, several Black fraternities, Queer Student Union, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center, Organization of African Students, Taiwanese Student Association, Korean Student Association, Chinese Student Association, Black Voices, United Sisters and numerous others.

In preparation for Wednesday, Sustained Dialogue handed out 1,000 T-shirts with the words "Stereotype Me" on the front. On the back of these T-shirts, students were told to describe a personal characteristic that somehow defies a particular stereotype held against them.

The purpose of De-stereotype Day was an effort to bring about awareness and an attempt to spark conversations concerning issues of negative connotations and incorrect images, Sustained Dialogue moderator Naseem Alavian said.

"The reason we chose this event was because everyone can relate to it; anyone can be a victim of stereotyping," Alavian said. "It challenged some people to think about stereotypes and the effects of labeling. Basically the objective was to create avenues of dialogue."

Chief Diversity Officer William Harvey identified two particular areas that this event was meant to influence.

"It causes people to rethink misconceptions and shed the preconceptions they have of others," Harvey said. "Also, it sparks ongoing interests for people to keep exploring ways to understand people and end stereotypes."

A reception was held last night in the Newcomb Hall Ballroom to conclude the event.

The reception was "a chance for people to have more organized dialogue," Alavian said. "We had a 'Freedom of Speech' wall on which students were allowed to express their observations, feelings and attitudes about the event. It was a chance for people to get there feelings out."

The organizers of the event considered the day a success and indicated that they would like to make the event an annual one.

"I think we will do it again next year because it was very successful this year," said third-year College student Matthew Lightfoot, a member of Sustained Dialogue.

According to Alavian, the T-shirts started conversations between students who would not normally speak to one another.

"It's like a campus-wide ice breaker," Alavian said.