Student apt. on Rugby burglarized

University students were the victims of theft this weekend when an unknown man was discovered by two residents of 506 Rugby Road, nicknamed "The Alamo." A purse was stolen from the residence.

The theft occurred at approximately 4:10 a.m. Aug. 25, according to Charlottesville Police Sergeant David Jones.

Third-year Commerce student Pamela Strong said she was awoken by a man standing about three feet away from her bed. Strong said she "didn't think too much of it" at first, as she thought the man was one of her roommates' friends who was trying to find the bathroom.

One of Strong's roommates encountered the man a few minutes later when she entered the building. The intruder told the girl that he thought he was in his brother's apartment, Strong said. Strong's roommate informed the intruder that he needed to leave, as the home was an all-girls residence.

Several other residents were asleep in the house, but did not wake up and encounter the suspect, Strong said.

Jones said the suspect was seen heading south on Rugby Rd. toward Gordon Street after leaving the girls' residence.

Strong noted that her roommate did not see that the intruder had taken her purse.

"I guess he put it under his shirt or in his pants," Strong said.

Strong said her purse contained about $25 in cash as well as her car and house keys.

Strong said the intruder was able to enter the residence through an unlocked door.

"The back door was locked, but the front door wasn't," she said. "I went to bed around 12:30 [and] my other roommates forgot to lock up."

Jones said students must take precautions to ensure their safety.

"These kids need to start locking their doors," he said.

Jones said there have been no further reports of break-ins since Aug. 25.