Honor, UJC to collaborate on dorm presentations

At last night's meeting, the Honor Committee discussed an enhanced dorm liaison program set to begin in late September.

While Honor and the University Judiciary Committee have worked together on a similar program in the past, this year is the first in which specific Honor and UJC information will be made available to students, Vice Chair for Education Kendal Fox said.

In the past, educators only facilitated discussion among residents rather than provide information about their organizations.

Fox said a UJC educator will be paired with an educator from Honor.

Each UJC-Honor team will then be assigned a first-year dorm with which they will set up times to meet with residents in halls or suites.

The educators will provide pizza and give a short presentation on the different roles of Honor and UJC, Fox added.

They then will facilitate a discussion about honor, ethics and integrity.

Fox said the program will reiterate what first years have already learned about Honor and UJC during dorm programs held during Orientation Week but that this program will be more personal.

"People are uncomfortable asking questions in that huge Chem Auditorium and being able to answer questions [in dorms], we thought that would be a good resource for students to have," Fox said.

Fox said she will be meeting at the Residence Life Office this Friday to gather contact information. Educators will then be trained before sending out e-mails to Resident Staff members to schedule program times.

"The earlier you talk to first years in the year, the earlier they want to get involved," Fox said.

UJC is also excited about the start of a program that was seen as successful last year, senior UJC educator Rob Harry said during a UJC meeting Sunday.

"We want to encourage dialogue between Honor and UJC and get our mission out there," Harry said.