Faculty to study broccoli's anti-cancer effects

Pathology Prof. Janet Cross and pathology department Chair Dennis Templeton recently were awarded a $1.3 million grant from the National Cancer Institute in order to conduct research on the anti-cancer benefits of broccoli.

Cross said she has been researching this topic for approximately four years and began trying to acquire funding two years ago.

Researchers have known for several decades that animals that are fed certain compounds identified in broccoli develop fewer tumors than animals which do not consume the compounds, Cross noted.

"Nobody understood how that worked or why," Cross said. "We were interested in trying to discover what it was about the chemicals that brought about the effect."

Cross said her research up to this point has focused on searching for proteins that might react to the compound in broccoli. She eventually found that the compound inhibits an enzymatic process.

Her current research focuses on trying to determine whether it is the resulting protein modification that causes the anti-cancer benefits, Cross explained.

Templeton noted that he and Cross are interested in understanding how broccoli's sulfur-containing amino acids control protein functions, as they noted that many chemotherapy drugs chemically interact with sulfur.

The research could benefit society in the future, both Cross and Templeton said.

Further research could foster the development of new or better drugs that treat cancer, Cross noted.

Templeton added that the research could also allow researchers to determine how a nutritious diet can optimally benefit a person's health.

Whatever its role in preventing cancer may be, broccoli certainly has additional health benefits, University nutrition specialist Paula Caravati said, noting that broccoli is high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and serves as a source of calcium for those who do not consume milk products.