Honor releases faculty survey

The Honor Committee released the results of its faculty survey Sunday. The results demonstrated mixed opinions about the current system.

The survey was commissioned by last year's Committee and was conducted in February and March 2006. All teaching faculty and teaching assistants were targeted. According to Tom Guterbock, director of the University Center for Survey Research,1,564 respondents completed the survey with a response rate of 52.6 percent.

Faculty members were asked about their basic knowledge of, and support for, the system. When asked about their support for the system, 42.7 percent of respondents expressed "moderate support with reservations" for the system.

CSR also asked how often in the past two years faculty members have discussed the Honor Code on their syllabi, discussed it with their classes, stated clear expectations about honorable conduct on assignments and asked students to sign pledges on work.

According to the survey, 17.5 percent of respondents have observed cheating in the past two years. Of those who observed cheating, 27.6 percent took action within the Honor system. Of faculty who had participated in the Honor process, 63 percent were satisfied with the overall process of the case.

Faculty members were also able to suggest improvements to the system. While 74 percent of faculty did not respond to this question, 8.7 percent suggested increasing awareness, communication and education.

According to Guterbock more results are available on the CSR Web site. Tramba said the Committee will release its own analysis of the data, probably by the end of the semester.

"One thing it takes to do a survey is courage--some will use it say one thing, someone will use it to for something else," Guterbock said. "It narrows the debate and makes it more constructive."

The Committee will hold a question-and-answer session Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the trial room.

The Honor Committee discussed a proposal to streamline the Honor process and released the results of a faculty survey Sunday night.

The "Transformation" proposal would treat the reporter like any other witness and would include a longer investigation process involving rebuttal interviews.

The investigation panel would not involve the accused or the reporter. The panel would only review the investigation log.

According to Engineering Rep. Justin Starr, an investigation panel recently tested part of the proposed system.

It "worked really well," Starr said. "We just decided without speaking to a student. It was wonderful."

Several current and former senior support officers submitted a letter to the Committee recommending the Committee vote to accept the proposal.

"Too often big ideas are whittled down to token changes in Honor, long before they have had a chance in action," the letter stated. "Please vote to implement the Transformation proposal in its entirety."

The Committee plans to vote on the proposal next week, according to Committee Chair Alison Tramba.