Cavs win ACC Championship in men's tennis

The Virginia men's tennis team blanked North Carolina Sunday to win its third ACC Championship in four years.

The Cavaliers jumped out to a 1-0 lead when the teams of juniors Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey and freshman Lee Singer and junior Ted Angelinos defeated their opponents. Virginia never looked back, as all of the Cavaliers' singles players beat their Tar Heel counterparts.

No. 2 Devvarman easily rolled to a singles victory against No. 64 Benjamin Carlotti of North Carolina, 6-1, 6-2. No. 20 Huey, freshman Dominic Inglot and Angelinos also all won their matches in two sets to give Virginia a 5-0 victory.

After the match, Angelinos was named the Tournament's Most Valuable Player. The junior from Athens, Greece was moved up to play No. 6 singles at the start of the Tournament. During the weekend, Angelinos won all three of his matches and also contributed to Virginia's success through his doubles play alongside Singer.

The Cavaliers defeated Miami by a count of 4-1 Friday and Wake Forest by a score of 4-0 Saturday to advance to the championship match against the Tar Heels.

With the win against UNC, the Cavaliers have clinched an automatic berth in the 64-team NCAA Tournament. The seeds will be announced May 1.

-- Compiled by Zach Rowen