Softball: Cavs steal both halves of twin bill from Towson

The Virginia softball team successfully carried its momentum from Sunday's win against Boston College to yesterday afternoon as they downed Towson in both games of its doubleheader.

The Cavaliers (14-24, 1-8) won the first game 5-3 and the second game 4-2, both in comeback fashion. Junior pitcher Whitney Holstun won both games in relief for the Cavaliers and moved to 3-0 on the year. Senior pitcher Coty Tolar started both games for the Cavaliers, pitching a total of 8.2 innings and giving up five runs. Sophomore Karla Wilburn pitched the final inning of the second game to record her second save of the season.

In the first game, Virginia took a 2-0 lead into the fourth inning, but the Tigers (15-17, 2-4 Colonial Athletic Conference) were able to claw back into the game and even took a 3-2 lead by the end of the inning.

Virginia got the offense it needed in the sixth inning. Sophomore shortstop Kierstie Cameron got the bats going with a double to right center. Junior outfielder Lindsey Preuss, pinch-running for Cameron, scored on a double by freshman outfielder Nicole Koren and tied up the game at three. Junior outfielder Casey Steffan then deliveredher first collegiate home run over the left center field wall to score two and put the Cavaliers up for good 5-3.

The second game was close as well as Virginia failed to put up any runs through five innings and found itself down 2-0 going into its half of the sixth inning. Once again, the sixth inning proved to be the comeback inning for the Cavaliers as they registered four runs to seal their third straight victory 4-2.

Steffan got things rolling this time with a single. She then advanced to second on a wild pitch, stole third and scored when the throw to third flew past the third baseman. Senior outfielder Meghan O'Leary walked and then advanced to third on a bunt by senior second baseman Elea Crockett that was misplayed by the Tiger defense. O'Leary stole home in the same sequence when no one was covering home and tied the game at two. Preuss homered to center field to score two more and put the Cavaliers in position to tally another win. Wilburn came in to pitch in the seventh and got the save.

The offensive leaders for the Cavaliers for the doubleheader were Steffan (4 for 5, 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored, 1 home run) and Preuss (2 for 2, 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored, 1 home run).

The team saw the wins as true team efforts.

"I think our defense wasn't as good as it should have been today," Crockett said. "But we had some great team wins because we kept pushing through even though some of the things weren't going our way."

The Cavaliers will next face a strong Virginia Tech team this weekend, and they are glad to get on a winning streak before that series.

"I think it's pretty necessary for us to get a few wins under our belt before Virginia Tech," Crockett said. "They are a tough team and we haven't had many streaks of wins in a row, and I think we are all upbeat about this."

The players are gaining confidence after their recent wins.

"It was really nice getting some wins going into the weekend against Virginia Tech," senior Brooke Sorber said. "Building some hitting confidence is good, and our pitchers pitched really well, so I hope that carries over into the weekend, too."