Groves to serve as interim dean

University officials announced Tuesday that Allen Groves will serve as interim dean of students, taking over the role vacated by current Dean of Students Penny Rue.

Groves, who currently works as a development officer in the Office of Student Affairs, will assume the role Aug. 6 as Rue prepares to leave the University for her new position as vice-chancellor for student affairs at the University of California-San Diego.

According to Pat Lampkin, vice president for student affairs, the dean of students is responsible for several areas including orientation and new student programs, Newcomb Hall, the Center for Alcohol and Substance Abuse, the Office of Student Life and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

The dean is responsible for "the daily support of students, their student experience, their involvement with student activities and the general safety and well being of all our students," Lampkin said.

Groves said his experience working in the development office gave him a chance to gain a greater understanding of student life that will aid him in his new position.

"I've spent a lot of time with a lot of student leaders and student organizations; lots of dinners, meetings and events to talk to students and hear what they felt about the [student] experience," Groves said.

Groves stressed that his main goal will be improving the overall student experience.

"[I want to] sit down with students and find out what our priorities should be, what opportunities are out there that we should be taking advantage of, how we can make a better undergraduate experience," he said. "If we are doing things that are very meaningful for students, and preparing them for later in life, we should be doing more of that."

In addition, Bill Ashby, associate dean of students and Newcomb Hall director, confirmed that he and fellow associate deans Aaron Laushway and Angela Davis will be stepping up in their roles to aid Groves in their areas of experience.

"I'm happy to step up and provide whatever support and leadership I can," Ashby said. "[It's beneficial to] try and identify strength across the organization and leverage those strengths for the benefit of the whole."

According the Lampkin, the search for the permanent dean will start after the beginning of the new school year.

"We are going to get the year started, make sure it's a seamless transition for the students, make sure all our programs are lined up correctly and then do a national search," she said.

In the meantime, Groves said he is excited as he approaches this new position.

"This is to me, really a dream opportunity to make a difference in a place I love more then anywhere else," he said.