I don't want to be like Mike

People used to drop the old line "I want to be like Mike!" from Michael Jordan's Gatorade commercials when they talked about Michael Vick. Who wouldn't want to be like Michael Vick the athlete: a speedy, strong-armed quarterback making millions of dollars in salary and endorsements?

Then they learned about Michael Vick the person, and things started going downhill for his public image. Now that Vick has pleaded guilty to involvement in a dog fighting ring, nobody is using that saying with reference to Vick.

There are many different ways I could have expressed my disappointment with Vick, but first I wanted to address two other big-name athletes who defended his actions. This might as well be a segment called, "When athletes should just shut up."

First up is Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis. I think Portis is generally a funny guy, with all his different getups during interviews with the media. But his comments about Vick's dog fighting ring, which need no analysis by me, are mind-boggling.

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Portis said in an interview with WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

Then, there is also the wisdom imparted to us by Stephon Marbury, point guard for the New York Knicks. Marbury has long been an outspoken athlete, usually to his disadvantage as a public figure. After all, saying things like this doesn't exactly make him look very intelligent or thoughtful.

"We don't say anything about people shooting deers and shooting other animals, you know what I mean?" Marbury said in an interview shown on Albany, NY Capital 9 News. "From what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors and I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down."

Fortunately, there are some voices of reason in this whole debacle, such as NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. The following comes directly from the letter sent by Goodell to Vick and his agent:

"Your admitted conduct is not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible. The conduct your co-defendants have admitted to, in which you are directly implicated, simply reinforces that conclusion. Your team, fans and the NFL have all been hurt by your actions. You have lied to your teammates and coaches, to the Falcon's owner and management, and also to me."

Goodell made the right choice by suspending Vick from the league indefinitely, and I hope that Vick never has the privilege of wearing an NFL uniform again. Fortunately, companies are following the NFL; big-time sponsors such as Nike and Rawlings have either suspended or terminated their deals with Vick. Reebok and Upper Deck have done the same, and their decisions will have a greater impact on fans as they impact the marketplace: Vick jerseys (produced by Reebok) are no longer being sold, and his trading cards will not be included in the next batch of Upper Deck football card sets.

December 10, 2007 is the date Michael Vick will be sentenced to what is supposed to be -- and I think should be -- guaranteed prison time. He can be put in jail for one to five years, but I hope he gets the maximum sentence. I have never been one for making an example of athletes, because they make mistakes too; however, I hate it when celebrities get off the hook for the actions or crimes they commit because of their star power. Vick deserves to be treated like any other senseless person involved in dogfighting, and hopefully nobody will want to be like this Mike.

Eric Strow's column normally runs on Tuesday and he can be reached at sports@cavalierdaily.com