Redefining Student Council

Shiny though they may be, the LCD screens ornamenting Newcomb Hall do very little to improve the lives of students. They barely serve anyone at all, except perhaps the bored student who stops awkwardly in front of the stairs to watch CNN on mute.

The LCD screens are the result of months wasted trying to convince the University to buy something it didn't need so last-year's Council could point to the TVs as one of its accomplishments. Surely the University could find better ways to spend those thousands of dollars.

Instead of such projects, this-year's Council should focus on what Council President Lauren Tilton described as "bridging the gap between students and between organizations." Rather than try to pass useless resolutions -- like the one in 2004 condemning vandalism -- Council should employ its unique capabilities to coordinate groups.

That ought to mean no more nights spent debating silly, meaningless resolutions, no more promises to "reach out" and no more expensive purchases that benefit Best Buy more than students. The next semester of the Tilton administration can redefine Council's role within the University community, and Council should to accept that challenge eagerly.

Over the past several administrations, Student Council solidified its reputation as a group more concerned with bureaucratic infighting than leadership. When substantive legislation does emerge from its weekly meetings, which even representatives frequently skip, it usually concerns the internal structure of Council or resolutions endorsing this or condemning that.

If Council members have trouble imagining themselves as a more productive organization within the University community, they should consult their own organization's history. In the 1970s, Council lobbied the Virginia General Assembly for funds to build a new library. It established free legal services for students struggling to sort through the complexities of off-Grounds housing. Council did what it was best equipped to do: It served as an intermediary between students and organizations.

Circumstances have changed since then, and so should the role of Student Council. Many of Student Council's previous responsibilities have been outsourced to more focused and therefore more efficient organizations. For example, Council was once responsible for holding its own elections, which the University Board of Elections now runs. Council used to lead rallies and protests, but now groups like the Living Wage Campaign, University Democrats and College Republicans accommodate a broader spectrum of ideologies and activism. As specific groups form to accomplish specific goals, Council's role must adjust to address different needs.

No wonder Tilton encounters such difficulty "articulating what Council can be." Council spends too much time clinging to its old role as a catch-all problem solver with undefined responsibilities. Constant bickering and ineffective resolutions are symptoms of a conflict within Council between Council's traditional perception of itself and today's reality. New problems require new solutions or, rather, a new role altogether.

As one of the most recognizable and accessable groups on Grounds, Council has the capacity to be the single most effective facilitator for student interaction. Such an opportunity would be a terrible thing to continue to waste. In tomorrow's lead editorial, we will focus on innovative ways for Council to redefine itself.