Early applications rise at some schools

One year after the University eliminated its early decision admissions program in an effort to even the playing field for low-income prospective students, other universities are seeing a leap in their number of early applicants. Admissions officials cite a number of possible reasons for the increase in early applications at their institutions, including the changes made to admissions processes at peer institutions.

Following decisions by the University, Princeton University and Harvard University to eliminate their early application programs, Georgetown Dean of Admissions Charles Deacon confirmed that his school has seen a jump in early action applications with a 32-percent increase this fall, adding that Georgetown had expected more early applicants this year because of other schools' altered policies.

"We do early action, not early decision, which is of course non-binding," Deacon said. "That makes us a likely target ... for someone who would have applied to a U.Va. or a Harvard."

Deacon added that the University's and other schools' decisions also may have had an effect on last year's applicants.

"We think there was some impact even in last year's pool," Deacon said, noting that the admissions policy changes at the University and other institutions were announced in September 2006.

Jim Bock, Swarthmore College dean of admissions, noted a similar phenomenon, but added that it is difficult to know exactly what is driving the increase in early applications at Swarthmore.

"We're seeing right now a 110-percent increase over last year," Bock said. "Part of our increase is coming from international students. That's where we've seen the biggest increase."

University Dean of Admissions John Blackburn said the success or failure of single-deadline applications may influence whether other schools take actions similar to those of the University in the future.

"I think the other universities are watching very closely to see what experience Harvard, Princeton and U.Va. have this year," Blackburn said. "The other universities are interested in trying to attract low-income students but I think they're watching our experience this year to see what happens."

Catherine Diamond, senior assistant director of admissions at the University of Vermont, echoed this sentiment, noting that the actions of the best universities will affect other universities over time.

"Everyone ultimately is impacted by what the top does, but it takes a while," Diamond said. "I think the decision to eliminate early programs altogether will trickle down over the next few years"