Team preps for start of tough ACC schedule

Following a tough 75-45 loss to national powerhouse Connecticut Wednesday, the players on the Virginia women's basketball team dive into final exams like every other University student.

The final exam period is a time during which no athletic teams play games; however, that does not mean practices are not a priority. Though these practices are abbreviated, they are still effective.

"We are going to get better," Virginia coach Debbie Ryan said. "We are going to work to get better during that break period. Even though we give them a lot of time off, we have very short but very animated and concentrated practices where they can come in and get their shooting done, work on some things we need to work on and maybe put some new things in and then go. It's about an hour and 15 minutes is all they get during exams, but it's very concentrated. It's a very good time to get them seasoned in some areas we want them to be better in."

The practices will be useful as the Cavaliers gear up for seven games scheduled during Winter Break: Davidson at home Dec. 20, two games at home in the Marriott Cavalier Classic played Dec. 28 to 29, at Rider Jan. 2, at Wake Forest Jan. 6, Rhode Island at home Jan. 9 and Virginia Tech at home Jan. 13.

In the Marriott Cavalier Classic, Virginia faces Delaware State in the second game of the first round at 7 p.m. Dec. 28. The first game, between Marshall and Missouri, takes place at 4:30 p.m. The third-place game is Dec. 29 at 4:30 p.m.; the championship game takes place at 7 p.m. Virginia will face either Marshall or Missouri in one of those two games depending on the outcome of the first game against Delaware State.

The Cavaliers' first ACC contest at Wake Forest could prove to be a challenging one against a tough Demon Deacons team that currently holds a record of 8-1. Last year, the Cavaliers defeated Wake Forest in their only meeting 77-70 at John Paul Jones Arena. This year's meeting is also the only game the two will play against each other this season.

Virginia opens its ACC home schedule against Virginia Tech. The Hokies, like the Demon Deacons, are currently 8-1. The Cavaliers lost to Virginia Tech last year at home 60-58 but won in Blacksburg 79-76.

Beginning the ACC slate of games with two seemingly strong teams should not be a problem for the Cavaliers, however. Their schedule thus far has been very challenging, with the Cavaliers meeting the likes of George Washington, Texas, Minnesota and Connecticut.

"It's great to have these [tough games] early in the season so that we learn early," sophomore guard Monica Wright said, adding that such contests mean players "tend to not make the same mistakes at the end of the season, which is more important."

Wright's play is one force that has propelled Virginia to early season success despite the unforgiving set of opponents. Wright was named ACC Player of the Week this week and is now averaging 16.1 points per game after a slow start to the year.

"I just try to start on the defensive end and get it started down there," Wright said. "Our post players get it going offensively, which really opens it up for us at guard. So it is really easy from there."

Virginia, currently standing at 6-4, has won five of its last seven games and will look to sustain its momentum throughout Winter Break.