Cavaliers look to halt losing trend against rival Terrapins

The Virginia men's basketball team travels to College Park, Md. tonight, hoping to improve upon a 1-5 record in its previous six games.

This stretch has put the Cavaliers (11-7, 1-4 ACC) at the bottom of the conference standings, but also markedly increased the importance of this rivalry game.

The Cavaliers will, as always, look for leadership from senior guard Sean Singletary, who is continuing to battle a hip pointer injury that has limited his production as of late. Since accumulating two consecutive double-doubles in a loss against Virginia Tech (34 points, 10 rebounds) and a win against Boston College (19 points, 10 assists).

Singletary has had only 11 points in each of the team's losses to Georgia Tech and Florida State, but still averages 18.1 points per game.

"He's played 41 out of 45 minutes, and right now he should probably be at about 25," Virginia coach Dave Leitao said about Singletary's health.

Sophomore guard Calvin Baker seconded Leitao's opinion.

"Sean doesn't look like himself, he's not as aggressive as he normally is in transition, so I'm sure it's bothering him a little bit," Baker said.

Singletary hasn't been practicing lately and is receiving treatment for the injured hip; however, he knows as a senior captain that he must lead his team regardless of the circumstance, including fighting through injury.

"We've got a long season, so I'm just trying to get out there and see what we can muster up," Singletary said. "It can't get any worse for me by playing on it, so I've got to play through it and it'll get better."

Injuries seem to be a recurring theme for this year's Virginia squad. Senior center Tunji Soroye, junior forward Lars Mikalauskas, and sophomore forward Will Harris have all seen limited playing time this year. This depleted frontcourt has forced Leitao to put players in roles they aren't accustomed to, such as small forward junior Adrian Joseph playing as a power forward and freshman forward Mike Scott filling in as a center.

These injuries have cost the team a majority of its baseline defense and have caused problems for the team when facing opponents with dominating big-men.

The Terrapins (12-8, 2-3) will put the Cavaliers' adjustments to the test. Senior forwards James Gist and Bambale Osby are major contributors to the Maryland squad. Gist is second on the team with 15.4 points per game, and Osby is third with 11.5 ppg. This imposing frontcourt will force the Cavaliers again to look for a big performance from their out-of-position big men.

Maryland also gets strong contributions from sophomore guards Greivis Vasquez, the team's leading scorer with 16.5 points per game, and Eric Hayes, who averages 10.6 points per game.This backcourt will test the injured Singletary and Baker.

Among other recent problems, the Cavaliers have had a tendency to get big leads and lose them late in the game, as seen in recent losses to Georgia Tech, Florida State and Virginia Tech.

"I think once we get to the second half, we, as a team, get caught up in trying to win the game instead of just playing basketball," Baker said of the team's recent struggles.

The Cavaliers know, however, that it is not time to panic just yet. Leitao said he has the team focused on winning this game just as he would any other.

"Confidence doesn't come with winning and losing