Cavs lose another in overtime to Virginia Tech

BLACKSBURG -- The Cavaliers cannot seem to close.

For the third time this season, the Virginia men's basketball team gave up a late second-half lead before losing in overtime. Against Virginia Tech Saturday in Blacksburg, the team blew a 7-point lead with less than six minutes remaining in regulation before falling 72-65 in the extra period.

In addition to this game marking the third loss in three overtime games, it is also the fourth occasion in which Virginia (11-9, 1-6 ACC) has blown a lead of at least 3 points with less than six minutes remaining.

"Obviously each game's independent of one another, but at the same time we've been in these situations so many times, you can't help but think about these previous experiences," senior forward Ryan Pettinella said. "You just have to have the mental toughness to move forward, and really realize that you're in the present moment, and you've got to change your fate."

After the Hokies (14-8, 5-3 ACC) overcame a 48-41 deficit to draw even at 52 with 1:19 remaining in the second half, both teams came up empty on their next two possessions. When Virginia senior guard Sean Singletary missed a three, however, Virginia Tech forward senior Deron Washington soared for the rebound and outletted quickly to junior A.D. Vassallo. Vassallo missed the fast-break lay-up, but a hustling Washington trailed the play and emphatically threw down a right-handed tip slam, giving Virginia Tech the advantage.

For the second straight game, however, Singletary was able to force an overtime. With 13 seconds on the clock, Singletary drove to the basket, and, while wedged among three defenders, was fouled by Virginia Tech freshman forward J.T. Thompson with seven seconds remaining. After Singletary calmly drained both free throws to knot the score at 54, Virginia Tech guard freshman Hank Thorns air-balled a desperation three, and Thompson and freshman guard Malcolm Delaney missed two subsequent wide-open tip opportunities as regulation expired.

The Hokies, however, dominated the extra period, shooting 4-6 from the field and sinking 10 free throws to outscore the Cavaliers 18-11.

Singletary, who continues to play through a hip pointer, ended with 26 points on 6-15 from the field and 11-14 from the free-throw line. Only sophomore forward Jamil Tucker joined Singletary in double figures in the points column, finishing with 10. Freshman forward Mike Scott had 9 points, forwards junior Mamadi Diane and senior Adrian Joseph each added 8, and sophomore guard Calvin Baker was held scoreless after playing 29 minutes.

"In a team game, a guy with that kind of spirit [Singletary] should be able to get [help] from everybody else," Virginia coach Dave Leitao said. "We're just not getting enough of it to make enough plays to help us win plays."

In contrast to the Singletary-dominated Virginia offense, Virginia Tech's attack came from numerous sources. Five Hokies finished in double figures in points, led as usual by Washington (15) and Vassallo (14). Washington also snatched 12 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season.

The first half was a tale of two runs that led to an essential stalemate at halftime. After the teams battled to an 11-11 start, Virginia scored 12 unanswered points to take a 23-11 lead at the 8:45 mark of the first half. Virginia Tech, however, responded with 12 straight points of its own to even the score at 23, as the Cavaliers committed five turnovers. Virginia went into halftime with just a 26-25 advantage.

"We were up 23-11, we missed a three, and then Calvin [Baker] traveled with two makeable plays that would have put us at 28-11," Leitao said. "From that point, we must have turned it over a gazillion times."

The slumping Cavaliers will try to crack their recent 1-7 funk at home Thursday, when they take on Clemson.