Tibetan locals, others raise flag, commemorate history

Students, city officials and Tibetan locals gathered yesterday in Charlottesville to commemorate the 1959 uprising in the former capital of the Tibetan state. In addition to the day of speakers, prayers and marches, the city also displayed the Tibetan flag at City Hall as a sign of support for the cause.

According to Charlottesville Mayor Dave Norris, City Council was approached by local citizens who requested Charlottesville's participation in the flag display.

"We were happy to do it," Norris said. "There are hundreds of cities doing it to bring attention to the human rights abuses in Tibet."

Ms. Tseyang, president of the Tibetan Association of Charlottesville, who asked to have her last name withheld because of concerns for her and her family's safety, said more than 65 Tibetan people live as refugees in the Charlottesville area. She stressed that yesterday's events were meant to educate all the members of the community.

"In this community, there are people who are interested in the Tibetan issue, but they don't know much about what the problem is," she said. "The Tibetan issue is a universal issue, not just a Tibetan issue. If this culture disappeared, it would be a great loss for humanity."

The Chinese government, however, does not recognize Tibet as an independent nation. The Chinese Embassy sent an e-mail to the City of Charlottesville asking that it not display the flag of Tibet.

"The Chinese Embassy learned with grave concerns that the City Council of Charlottesville voted on February 28 to allow the flying of the so-called 'flag of Tibet' for 'Tibetan National Uprising Day'," the e-mail stated. "As you know, the fact that Tibet is an unalienable part of China has been recognized by all countries in the world, including the government of the United States."

Despite the e-mail, Norris and the rest of City Council decided to display the flag during the ceremonies held yesterday.

"We really didn't think to much of [the letter]," Norris said. "But clearly it got their attention, which is the whole point: get their attention, get the world's attention on the issues in Tibet."

Rich Felker, the Mid-Atlantic regional coordinator for Students for a Free Tibet, who has also taken graduate classes at the University, attended the gathering to announce the founding of the Charlottesville chapter of his organization.

Felker also noted that while the e-mail from the Chinese Embassy was expected, it was not an appropriate reaction.

"The Chinese government is completely hypocritical in asking other governments not to interfere in their so