Virginia rolls past George Mason on senior night

It could be argued that the most important factor in making a good team is chemistry. Throughout this season, the No. 4 Virginia women's lacrosse team has been the epitome of team chemistry and unity; regardless of the situation, each player has an encouraging word for a teammate and celebrates others' accomplishments.

One of the brightest feats on the field in Wednesday night's 16-3 win, in addition to clinching the team's 7-0 undefeated home record, was made by the defense. Facing No. 12 George Mason (10-3) on senior night, senior goalkeeper Kendall McBrearty guarded the net to a first-half shutout and gave up only two goals in 54 minutes of play. With the performance, McBrearty lowered her goals against average from 7.11, which already was tops in the ACC and fourth in the nation, to 6.81.

McBrearty, playing her last regular-season game at Klöckner Stadium, made six saves in the game, including several athletic saves off shots from point-blank range. Virginia coach Julie Myers was quick to praise her senior in goal.

"Kendall did a great job, and to have a half with a shutout is amazing," Myers said. "Our defenders really did a nice job of making the Mason kids scared to go to goal. We were sending double teams pretty effectively and pretty quickly. I think Kendall really limited a lot of their shooting opportunities."

McBrearty, however, knew that she couldn't have done anything without the strong defense in front of her.

"The defense did great," McBrearty said. "The last few days we've been practicing for a couple different things that we knew they liked to run. Tonight, we stepped up and did what we were told, and it worked."

All of the true seniors were recognized before the game. Attacker and captain Megan O'Malley, defenders Alice Hughey and captain Claire Bordley and McBrearty all received standing ovations when they came off the field late in regulation with the game in hand. Myers noticed those players' togetherness and support before any of their accomplishments.

"I think the fourth-years did a great job," Myers said. "Looking at their reactions on the sideline, the seniors were really excited to see their teammates have a chance to get on the game field as they came off and to do their thing because they've been practicing so hard. We just have great team chemistry and unity, and they're really excited for the person that's getting their chance."

Kaitlin Swagart, another attacker and a fifth-year senior, shone on this night. Swagart scored the first two goals of the game, both on assists from junior midfielder Ashley McCulloch, and added another to make the game 10-0 going into halftime. McCulloch later added a goal and two more assists to lead the team with five points on the night. Swagart seemed happier for her team's win than her individual accomplishments.

The first two goals were "important, but I wasn't focused on myself at all," Swagart said. "It was important that we came out with a big win tonight in trying to build momentum going into the ACC Tournament. It was exciting, but I wasn't proud that I personally did well; it was more team-oriented."

The team leader in goals for the night was junior midfielder Blair Weymouth, who had four goals, including three in a three-minute span early in the first half. Weymouth has been battling an injured ankle all season, but because she has been practicing with her teammates lately, she seemed to have that the extra spring in her step that Virginia (12-3, 4-1 ACC) is so accustomed to.

"It was definitely nice to come out and have a little bit better of a shooting percentage than I've had the past two games," Weymouth said. "My ankle's feeling better and just being able to practice has really helped me to get back in shape and get my speed back. It feels nice especially going into postseason play."

Besides senior night and the superb defense, the other story of the game was Virginia's efficient offense; the Cavaliers scored 16 goals on just 31 shots. Myers had been emphasizing this point in practice, and the team followed through last night.

"Ever since our BC game and our Georgetown game we really emphasized how important shooting is and not just heaving the ball or chucking it, but really placing it," Myers said. "I think the girls did a nice job in practices leading up to the last couple games in really appreciating going to goal when they do place that shot."

The Cavaliers extended their record against George Mason to 10-0 while securing their sixth season with an undefeated home record, and their first since 1996. This senior night performance highlights how the Cavaliers have played all season and must continue to play to succeed in the postseason -- as a team.