Four spring Chi Phi pledges face abduction charges

Police say University student quartet took fellow University student to Crozet area, bound hands, feet with packing tape

Four students who were pledging Chi Phi fraternity last spring are currently facing charges for felony abduction by force/intimidation for the alleged April 12 kidnapping of a fellow University student.
College students Chase Whitlow, Jordan Davis, Gabriel Rust-Tierney and Joseph Uzcategui were arrested upon their return to the University this fall, Charlottesville Police Capt. Bryant Bibb said, noting that the police were aware of the alleged abductors for some time.
The victim of the abduction — a white male University student who is approximately 20 years old — told police he was walking down Rugby Road when he was “approached by two males who secured his hands and feet with packing tape, put him in a car, drove a few minutes and put him out of the car onto some asphalt,” according to Bibb.
Bibb said the police received a call shortly after midnight April 13 saying the victim had been abandoned in the Crozet area. The victim sustained some injuries in the incident.
Based on the evidence, Bibb added, this abduction was planned in advance.
“Looking at the facts you would have to conclude that it was probably premeditated unless you were riding around in your car with packing tape as a matter of routine,” Bibb said.
Bibb added that he believes the suspects in this case would most likely consider the incident more of a practical joke than an offense of a serious nature.
“The four suspects would say that this was more of a prank than it was a crime of assault and kidnapping; they felt like maybe it would be humorous,” Bibb said. “The victim didn’t think it was and nor do we.”
Inter-Fraternity Council President Taylor Richardson said the IFC is currently investigating the incident, but would not comment further.
Michael Citro, assistant dean in the office of fraternity and sorority life, said his office is aware of the incident and noted that the case has been referred to the Inter-Fraternity Council Judiciary Committee.
“We are working with the fraternity to settle this and they have been quite cooperative and compliant with all of our requests,” Citro said.
Whitlow and Rust-Tierney could not be reached for comment. Davis and Uzcategui declined comment. Charlottesville General District Court documents available online indicate that the alleged parties are free on bail and have yet to hire legal representation. Their next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.
University Judiciary Committee Chair Merriam Mikhail said she could not say whether a case has been filed with the UJC, but said cases can be pursued concurrently by both the IFCJC and the UJC because the two organizations operate independently of each other.
University spokesperson Carol Wood confirmed the four arrested students remain University students but would not comment on their ongoing cases.
Chi Phi President Cullen Hitt could not be reached for comment, despite numerous attempts via e-mail and telephone.