Syracuse surges in second half, squeaks past Virginia at home

After the Virginia men’s basketball team dropped its home bout with Liberty a week ago, it seemed unlikely that the Cavaliers could hang with Syracuse on the road in their next game. That is exactly, however, what Virginia did Friday night, as it led the Orange by as many as 13 before falling 73-70 in the Carrier Dome.

After trailing 40-29 at the half, Syracuse (6-0) knocked in nine of its first 12 field goals to open the second half, taking back the lead 58-56 with 7:54 remaining. The Syracuse lead never grew larger than 6, but Syracuse never relinquished the lead as time wound down.
Virginia freshman guard Sylven Landesberg led all scorers with 16 points, while junior guard Calvin Baker and freshman guard Sammy Zeglinski each added 14. Syracuse had four players in double figures, led by junior guard Andy Rautins and sophomore guard Jonny Flynn with 15 points apiece, including 12 points for Flynn in the second half.

The Cavaliers (4-2) wrap up one of their most trying road trips of the season tonight against Minnesota at Williams Arena in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Coach Tubby Smith’s Gophers come in unblemished at 8-0, including wins against Bowling Green and Georgia State.

This is Virginia’s last contest before it has a two-week break for final exams. The game starts at 9:30 p.m. and is being televised by ESPN2.

—compiled by Paul Montana