University employee arrested in Stafford County sting operation

Douglas Emory Loyd, a University Information Technology and Communication faculty technical advocate for the Law School, was arrested Wednesday morning by the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged with three counts of attempted indecent liberties with a child and three counts of use of electronic communications device to solicit a juvenile, according to a Stafford County Sheriff’s Office press release.

University spokesperson Carol Wood confirmed that Loyd, 61, is a University employee. She said Loyd most likely will remain an employee until he is either convicted or acquitted of the crimes, but has been suspended pending the investigation.

According to the press release, Stafford County Detective Darryl Wells posed as a juvenile child during two months of Internet communications with Loyd.

“Loyd had been talking about having oral sex and intercourse with the child,” the release states. “Douglas Loyd set up a meeting in Stafford for Wednesday, December 3 for the purpose of having sex with the juvenile.”

Stafford County detectives staked out the spot where Loyd was planning to meet the juvenile and arrested him without incident at about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, the release states.

Wood said it would have been difficult for the University to have known of Loyd’s alleged criminal nature prior to or during his employment at the University. She also noted that it is often difficult to prevent a person who commits an act such as the alleged one from gaining employment at the University if he or she does not have a prior history of arrest.

“In the past, there have been several other incidents like this,” Wood said. “And I believe that in each of those instances, the employee was terminated.”

The University and its police department, Wood said, is currently cooperating and working closely with the Stafford Sheriff’s Office’s investigation. Loyd is being held at the Rappahannock Regional Jail, according to the release.

—compiled by Thomas Madrecki