University launches daily news report

The University officially launched its U.Va. Today Daily Report yesterday, University spokesperson Carol Wood said, noting that the new electronic daily newsletter seeks to better deliver and “push” University-related news, updates and headlines into the hands of students, faculty and staff.

An e-mail announcing the launch sent by Leonard Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, stated that people signed up to receive the newsletter “will receive top stories about University staff, faculty and students, calendar items and general information about what’s happening.” Links to other media outlets and University blogs will also be included, the e-mail stated.

Wood said the report is an outgrowth of the current U.Va. Today Web site. Since last year, when the University halted printed production of Inside UVA — the former daily University communications release — because of budget concerns, Wood said her office has researched alternative means of delivering information to readers.

“We know people are busy,” Wood said, noting that the automatically delivered releases “going right to the inbox” will be easier and quicker to access for recipients than the current U.Va. Today Web site.

Wood said initial distribution of the report will go to University students, faculty and staff who register online. She added that more than 2,600 people, including many students, have already signed up to receive the report.

The University probably will announce the report to University alumni and other potential recipients sometime early next year via a similar mass e-mail, Wood said.

—compiled by Thomas Madrecki