Virginia takes on early season challenges

Cavaliers have faced four top-20 foes in first eight non-conference contests

The toughest schedule in program history combined with no home matches until Jan. 17 has led to a tough start for the Cavalier wrestling team. Virginia has battled hard this season, with its four losses coming against teams ranked in the top 20.

The Cavaliers have seen impressive performances from several wrestlers, showing the potential the team has to win the ACC. Freshman Jedd Moore and sophomore Chris Henrich have both been named ACC Wrestler of the Week this season, becoming the first Cavaliers to earn the honor since last February. Despite their lackluster record, the Cavaliers (4-4) have shown improvement every step of the way. Coach Steve Garland has been preaching that the team’s record does not matter and that he is only concentrating on getting the team into the best position possible to advance to the NCAA Tournament.

“There is always room for improvement; nobody is perfect,” senior Rocco Caponi said. “We have been improving so much in every aspect of the sport.”

The No. 24 Cavaliers had a strong performance this past weekend at the Northeast Duals, going 2-1 by beating Harvard and Bucknell both with wins in seven of the 10 weight classes and losing to then-No. 7 Oklahoma State.

“It’s a loss, and obviously you are always upset with a loss,” Garland said. “I was happy with the way our kids competed.”

Junior Brent Jones racked up two falls in his bouts against Harvard and Bucknell, giving him 26 career falls and moving him into a tie for third place on Virginia’s all-time falls list. He needs only two more falls to reach second place. Henrich, meanwhile, continued his unblemished start to the season and improved to 12-0 with three wins during the weekend. Redshirt freshman Matt Bonson recorded an upset in the 133-pound division against Oklahoma State’s No. 11 Tyler Shinn. This was Virginia’s only win against the Cowboys’ stellar lineup that featured six ranked wrestlers. Virginia eventually fell, 33-7.

“I’m really proud of the team,” Caponi said. “They have wrestled really hard. Every time we step on the mat you can tell the attitude is improving, and we are just getting more and more confident as the team is progressing.”

That budding confidence may have been supported by the Cavaliers’ effort to build off their experience. Junior Ross Gitomer and Caponi have tried to help stabilize this young group of wrestlers, who need to grow into their roles and adapt in order for the Cavaliers to succeed this season.

“We are young.” Garland said. “We’ve got time to figure it out.”

The team must remain focused and concentrate on advancing to the NCAAs and possibly winning an ACC Championship.

“Our tenacity could use a boost here and there,” Caponi said. “We have been improving the attitude of the team year after year, and that is just the next step for us.”

Virginia will take a short break for finals and part of Winter Break, but the team will head to the Southern Scuffle in Greensboro, N.C. for matches Dec. 29 and 30.