Deep recruiting class brings influx of talent to Cavaliers

Six Virginia freshmen get use to college life, school, tougher training regimen

“Nerve-wracking.”

The one-word answer was all Virginia freshman Reese Milner needed to convey what it was like to play in his very first collegiate tennis match last Sunday against Belmont.

Although the rookie’s debut in the No. 5 Cavaliers’ 5-2 victory against the Bruins may not have gone entirely according to script — Milner paired with fellow freshman Drew Courtney to notch a win in doubles but fell in his singles match — the experience was memorable nevertheless for the newcomer from California.

“I was just a little too nervous for singles,” Milner said. “But it was a really fun experience regardless, winning or losing.”

Fresh off leading Crossroads High School (Los Angeles) to a state title, as well as a successful summer on the juniors’ circuit, Milner is one of six promising new faces to join coach Brian Boland’s renowned tennis program.

Freshman David Nguyen also received his first taste of college tennis action in the match against Belmont, while Courtney, perhaps the most highly touted of this year’s recruits, has already played three matches in the Cavaliers’ top six singles positions this spring. Steven Rooda, Santiago Villegas and Philippe Oudshoorn help round out what Boland called “the deepest first-year class I’ve ever recruited.”

“They’ve all developed individually over this past fall,” Boland said. “We’ve seen great strides in their games, and they’ve really matured. They’ve had an excellent transition, both in their academics and in their tennis here at Virginia.”

While they may have handled the transition well thus far, it has not always been easy. A typical day in the life of a Virginia tennis player leaves little room for rest or relaxation; after a full morning of classes, the athletes shuttle off to “individuals,” or private lessons with a personal coach, before taking part in a full team workout. After practice, the squad usually lifts weights, leaving just enough time for dinner, a little bit of studying and much-needed “passing out,” Milner said.

Though Boland expects his freshmen to work hard on the court every day, he demands excellence in the classroom, as well. Last year’s squad boasted an average 3.2 GPA and a perfect graduation rate, Boland said.

“It’s definitely tougher academically,” Courtney said. “In high school, you could miss school and not miss a whole lot, but here, you have to adjust to such a high academic standard.”

Courtney and Milner, however, have found their own solution to tackling the grind that comes with being a scholar-athlete. The roommates signed up for the same courses, and while they insist they have not split up the workload, “two heads are better than one,” Milner said, when it comes to understanding lectures and readings.

In addition to helping one another understand course materials, the freshmen have pushed each other to become better players as well. Although all six come from very diverse backgrounds — Rooda hails from the Netherlands, and Courtney from Northern Virginia — they share similar reasons for becoming Cavaliers.

“I knew [the University} had such a rich tennis tradition,” Courtney said. “Once I started talking to [Boland], I knew it was the right place.”

Courtney, a former Robinson Ram, with his big serve, great reach and ability to finish points at the net, is just another freshman in a long line of solid recruits who have come through Virginia’s tennis program during Boland’s seven-year tenure as coach. The coach looks for all-around men first and good players second, not only locally but also abroad. This year’s squad includes five players from overseas.

“The best players are not only from the United States but from around the world,” Boland said. “It’s a nice balance, but most importantly, we have good people who do a good job of getting out there and representing the University of Virginia in the way that it deserves.”

The pride Boland’s players take in playing for such a storied program is perhaps best evidenced by the close relationship between the upperclassmen and the newcomers on the squad. Since the beginning of the school year, older Cavaliers, such as team captains junior Houston Barrick and senior Dominic Inglot, have served as invaluable mentors to the gaggle of freshmen.

Inglot and Barrick “as well as all the other top veterans, have really taken these freshmen under their wings,” Boland said. “I give a lot of credit to the veteran players who really opened their arms and did a nice job of leading them and showing them the way.”

With role models such as Inglot and Barrick to ensure the young Cavaliers “steer away from trouble and head toward success,” as Milner said, and Boland to assist them in the transition to the collegiate game, the freshmen are just left with the task of taming the initial butterflies associated with making it to the big-time.

“College tennis matters a lot more than high school tennis,” Courtney said.  “Before, if you lost, it was just yourself. Now if you lose, you might lose it for 10 or 15 guys.”