Around the ACC

Men’s Basketball

No. 13 Clemson’s overtime loss to Virginia was not the only upset in the conference the past week. After No. 3 North Carolina downed Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium Thursday — making seniors Tyler Hansbrough and Danny Green undefeated at Cameron in their careers — No. 6 Duke fell to Boston College 80-74, as the Eagles became the only team this season to defeat both North Carolina and Duke.

Meanwhile, Maryland — whose coach, Gary Williams, was criticized in a three-part series by The Washington Post — pulled off an emotional mini-upset of its own Saturday, winning 83-73 against Virginia Tech. And N.C. State finally defeated No. 8 Wake Forest 82-76 Thursday.

Women’s Basketball

In an intriguing non-conference matchup between two perennial powerhouse teams, No. 7 Duke downed No. 13 Tennessee 62-54, marking the Blue Devils’ third straight victory against the Lady Volunteers in Knoxville. In addition to No. 17 Virginia’s loss to N.C. State, another ACC upset included No. 14 Florida State’s 77-70 win at home against No. 8 North Carolina, giving the Seminoles their third win against a top-10 team since Jan. 3 and giving coach Sue Semrau her 200th career victory.

Indoor Track and Field

Clemson junior C.J. Spiller is best known for his pursuits as a football player, but he also excels in indoor track for the Tigers. Spiller won the 60-meter dash Friday on day one of the Tiger Paw Invitational with a time of 6.74 seconds.

Spiller, however, is not the Tigers’ best 60-meter sprinter. The week before, junior Jacoby Ford ran a time of 6.52 seconds at the Virginia Tech Invitational, the best 60-meter dash time in the nation this season.

Men’s Basketball Attendance

While Virginia’s ticket sales for the home men’s basketball games have fallen, mostly because of the team’s losses this season, it is not the only team in the ACC struggling to put fans in the stands. Attendance across the conference — and, in fact, across the country — is down. In the ACC, an average of 624 people less people are attending games. Many reports have suggested that the struggling economy is the most logical reason for the decline.

—compiled by Paul Montana