Around the ACC

Men’s Basketball

Maryland had the biggest upset of the past week, rallying from 16 points down to defeat then-No. 3 North Carolina 88-85 in overtime. Greivis Vasquez put on a show for the home Terrapin fans, recording 35 points, 10 assists and 11 rebounds for the first double-double by a Maryland player since Derrick Lewis did it twice in 1987. Vasquez also put in a three-pointer to give Maryland the go-ahead bucket and sank two free throws with 5.4 seconds remaining to push the lead to 88-85.

No. 9 Duke featured two players who had a career night in its 101-91 win against No. 8 Wake Forest at Cameron Indoor Stadium Sunday; junior forward Gerald Henderson put up 35 points, while junior guard Jon Scheyer added 30 in his second straight start at point guard.

Men’s Lacrosse

Ranked No. 5 coming into the season, Duke was upset by then-unranked Harvard 9-6 Sunday after the Crimson Tide scored four unanswered goals to take the lead for good in the third quarter.

Both the Blue Devils and neighbor North Carolina held off upsets earlier in the week. Duke scored the go-ahead goal with 2:51 remaining in a 9-8 win against No. 17 Colgate Friday. No. 3 North Carolina had a similarly thrilling finish against No. 12 Navy the same night; the Tar Heels scored back-to-back goals with less than six minutes remaining to take a 9-8 lead, and senior goalie Grant Zimmerman made a save with less than a second left in the game to preserve the one-goal victory.

Women’s Basketball
Maryland senior guard Marissa Coleman became the eighth player in ACC history to tally at least 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds Sunday; her final bucket in a 77-59 victory against Duke gave her 24 points for the game and exactly 2,000 for her career.

Baseball

No. 2 North Carolina had perhaps the most impressive performance in the opening weekend of college baseball, outscoring a respectable VMI program 30-6 during a three-game series. Virginia Tech, meanwhile, swept its opening four-game series against USC, marking the Hokies’ best start to a season since they won their first five contests in 1993. Georgia Tech flirted with disaster against Lipscomb Sunday, but escaped with a 5-3 victory after sophomore Thomas Nichols hit a walkoff two-run homer in the ninth for a 5-3 victory to sweep the series.

N.C. State and Maryland, meanwhile, had the most disappointing weekends. Maryland dropped three straight at UNC-Wilmington, and N.C. State fell to Santa Clara twice in those teams’ three-game set.

Men’s Ice Hockey

Virginia Tech won the Atlantic Coast Collegiate Hockey League tournament Sunday for the first time in school history, defeating Duke 5-2 at the Roanoke Civic Center. Duke’s loss was one of revenge for the Hokies, after they fell to the Blue Devils in a shootout 2-1 in the regular season finale.