Mat men seek ACC victories to close season

Seniors Caponi, Ferrara, Sewell hope to defeat Blue Devils, N.C. State in final matches at home

“Perseverance, character and integrity,” are what define this year’s seniors, Virginia coach Steve Garland said.

The Cavaliers (9-10, 0-2 ACC) will have a chance to put those qualities to the test when they play host to N.C. State Saturday to kick off their weekend and then take on Duke in their last home match of the season Sunday at Memorial Gymnasium.

The matches against N.C. State (4-11-1, 0-3 ACC) and Duke (8-3, 1-2 ACC) will be the Cavaliers’ last chance to salvage their conference record.

Leading Duke is heavyweight junior Konrad Dudziak, who holds a No. 5 ranking. Dudziak holds a 25-2 record this year, including a 4-0 record in dual meets.

At the 184-pound weight class, Blue Devil junior John Barone will take on Cavalier senior Rocco Caponi in a rematch of last season’s ACC semifinals. While Caponi managed to beat Barone in a 6-4 decision last year, the Duke grappler boasts an impressive 32-5 record thus far.

The Wolfpack, meanwhile, is headlined by two ranked wrestlers in lighter weight classes: 141-pound No. 18 senior Joe Caramanica and 149-pound No. 3 junior Darrion Caldwell. Perhaps the most compelling matchup of the day, however, will be at the 174-pound division, in which Virginia sophomore Chris Henrich will take on N.C. State freshman Jake Burge. Although Henrich is currently ranked seventh nationally and has recorded a near-perfect 31-1 record on the season, Burge enters Saturday’s contest on an impressive eight-bought win streak.  

While Henrich still has two years of eligibility remaining, the Cavaliers have three starting seniors: Peter Ferrara, Mike Sewell and Caponi, who has totaled 106 career wins.

Following the meets against N.C. State and Duke, Virginia will have to part ways with Caponi, who has proven himself as one of Virginia’s most successful wrestlers, ranking third on the school’s career wins list.

“It will be a little bit bittersweet,” Caponi said. “It is always good to wrestle in front of your home crowd, but it is a little sad that it will be the last time I wrestle in front of the home crowd at U.Va.”

Unlike Caponi, Ferrara and Sewell are new additions to the starting rotation this season. Although they have not acquired the career statistics that Caponi has, both Ferrara and Sewell have grown during their time at Virginia and have become team leaders.

The seniors “are great role models for the rest of the team,” Garland said. “Mikey has always been a great workout partner. Petey is just insanely smart and brings up the team GPA. The team would be a lot different if we were missing any one of them.”

Ferrara said wrestling has significantly impacted him while he has been at the University. While Ferrara was not highly recruited out of high school, he found his place in Charlottesville. In his final season, he is the starter at 149 pounds and has posted a 15-9 record.

“It has meant a lot more to me than many people may know,” Ferrara said. “Wrestling has been that balancing force for me.”

Ferrara dislocated his knee against Old Dominion this past weekend and may not be able to wrestle against Duke and N.C. State. If Ferrara does wrestle, however, it will illustrate the determination he has shown throughout his four years and may jumpstart the Cavaliers as they get ready for the ACC Tournament.

Though the Cavaliers will play their last home match of the season this weekend, they also are beginning their push for an ACC Championship. The seniors will play a major role in motivating the team as they enter postseason play.

“Postseason is just a lot of leadership,” Caponi said. “We are the old farts on the team.”

Virginia does not have an overly impressive record this season and is competing with four of its ten starting wrestlers currently injured. The team, however, continues to remain positive despite various setbacks.

“I think we can turn a lot of heads in the postseason,” Ferrara said.