Szakos plans to run in City Council election

Kristin Szakos, former Charlottesville volunteer coordinator for Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, announced Monday that she will pursue the Democratic nomination for Charlottesville City Council later this year.

Szakos said she “was very energized by the Obama campaign,” citing her recent experience as the primary impetus for her decision to run. She also has been a journalist for more than 25 years, and noted that “being a reporter trains you to grapple with large issues.”
If elected, Szakos said she hopes to work toward creating more affordable housing in the city.

“There’s a constant need for accessible housing for people at all income levels,” she said.

Szakos has been a Charlottesville resident for more than 15 years and has been an active volunteer in the community, she said. Two Council seats will be up for election in November, and Szakos is the first person to formally declare her intent to run for one of the positions. Current council members Mayor Dave Norris and Vice Mayor Julian Taliaferro are expected to announce if they will seek re-election later this month.

— compiled by Matt Conover