Women

The Virginia women’s swimming and diving team blew the competition out of the water at last week’s ACC Championships. Tallying a team score of 848, the Cavaliers finished more than 200 points ahead of runner-up North Carolina to secure the victory at College Park, Md.

The championship marks the program’s second consecutive and seventh overall conference title. Much of Virginia’s success in the meet can be attributed to its wins in all five relays.

Junior Mae Christensen, senior Megan Evo, sophomore Kristen Moores and senior Kristen Wallace recorded a team best in the 400 free relay with a time of 3:15.22.

The performance broke the team’s own championship record from last season by more than three seconds and also notched a new school record.

In addition to helping win four relays, Christensen was a key contributor on an individual level, sweeping the backstroke events. Improving on last year’s runner-up finishes, Christensen won both the 100 and 200 back in conference records.

Christensen’s success earned her the title of the meet’s most valuable performer. Backstroker Brielle White in 2006 was the last Virginia swimmer to earn the award. Evo also was instrumental, adding victories in the 100 butterfly and 200 IM to her relay wins. She finished second in the 200 fly.

The Virginia men’s team will look to repeat the women’s team’s success later this week when it competes in its respective ACC Championships, also at College Park, Md.

—compiled by Chloe Newschwander