Leitao's term as coach ends

Sources classify move as firing as coach steps down; Leitao addresses team in ‘emotional’ closed-door meeting as coaching search begins

Dave Leitao resigned from his position as the Virginia men’s basketball coach yesterday afternoon, according to an athletic department press release.

Leitao met with Athletic Director Craig Littlepage to discuss the future of the program, according to the release. During the meeting, Littlepage and Leitao came to an agreement that resulted in Leitao’s resignation from the position, along with a compensation package of about $2.1 million.

Though the athletic department called the decision a resignation on Leitao’s part, several reports from other media outlets note that the move resembles a contract buyout and termination, citing anonymous sources who referred to the move as a “firing.”

After the decision was reached, Leitao met with players and coaching staff, The Cavalier Daily was told by a source close to the situation, who wished to remain anonymous.

The team “talked about the past and good memories,” the source said. “No real reason was given” for the change in coaching staff.
The source also said Leitao, rather than calling the move a resignation or a firing, “presented it ... that he was no longer employed as head coach.”

Leitao wished the team luck and told players that he is “just a phone call away” if they ever need anything, the source said.

“I think people were surprised,” the source said when asked about the team’s and staff’s response to the announcement. “I mean, it was an emotional time because it was unexpected.”

Steve Landesberg, father of ACC Rookie of the Year Sylven Landesberg, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that his son was very upset about the move and had a close relationship with Leitao and Leitao’s staff.

Landesberg was one of the bright spots during Virginia’s 2008-09 season and one of the talented players Leitao coached during his up-and-down tenure as Virginia coach.

Leitao, who led the Cavaliers for four years while assembling a 63-60 overall record, was selected as the ACC Coach of the Year in 2007 after winning the conference’s regular season. That year, the Cavaliers were awarded a fourth seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Beginning with the 2007-08 season, Leitao’s team began to struggle. In spite of high expectations after Sean Singletary returned for his senior year instead of declaring for the NBA Draft, the Cavaliers finished 10th in the ACC, winning only five conference games. The team settled for a berth in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational.

The 2008-09 season saw lower incoming expectations and even worse final results. The Cavaliers placed second-to-last in the ACC while assembling a 10-18 overall record that nearly matched the team’s worst record in a half-century. Though the final stretch of the season saw the team return to competitiveness, the Cavaliers did not qualify for a postseason berth.

Despite mixed success in terms of wins and losses, Leitao leaves behind a legacy of nurturing several elite Virginia players, most notably Singletary. Leitao also oversaw the team’s inaugural season at John Paul Jones Arena in 2007-08.

A national search for a new coach will begin immediately, according to the release. When contacted, Littlepage declined to comment about the search’s potential time frame.

“Our intention is to hire the very best person to lead the University’s basketball program consistent with our overall department goals,” Littlepage said. “Our team has a promising nucleus of young players who we expect will continue to develop.”