Warm weather, Florida teams loom on horizon

Conference opponents Miami, Florida State host Cavaliers as squad aims for perfection

For most teams, traveling from a mild state like Virginia to a hot and humid one like Florida could pose a challenge. Considering the kinds of conditions in which the Virginia men’s tennis team has won matches, however, the heat may not influence the Cavaliers’ play against Miami and Florida State as much as the tough competition will this weekend.

Virginia (20-0, 5-0 ACC) has won several matches in varying weather conditions this season, including a match against then-No. 10 Texas that was marked by rain delays — which can throw off a team’s practice and competition rhythms — and a windy home match against Clemson, in which the Cavaliers struggled to execute their shots.

“Against Clemson it was really windy — and the wind was kind of swirling in a circle,” sophomore Michael Shabaz said. “It kept moving, so you weren’t really able to set up and hit your shot.”

Regardless of the weather this weekend, the Cavaliers will face stiff competition from both of its upcoming opponents. Miami (8-6, 4-1 ACC) is coming off two consecutive 4-3 wins against North Carolina and Duke. While the Hurricanes’ (15-5, 5-0 ACC) talent is perhaps not as impressive as Virginia’s, the Cavaliers cannot afford to take the match lightly. Hurricane senior Daniel Vallverdu sports an impressive 11-4 record on the season. He has also stepped up against top-notch competition, compiling a 4-2 record in the No. 1 singles slot. Miami also has some young talent on the rise, including sophomore Carl Sundberg, who has a 14-5 overall record and a 4-1 conference record. Florida State, which currently ranks second in the ACC Standings, also will challenge Virginia’s undefeated record.

“Two years ago we went down to Florida State for a 4-3 battle — absolute battle — which we narrowly pulled out,” Senior Dominic Inglot said. “I’m sure they’re gonna pose another threat.”

Florida State is led by senior Maciek Sykut, who continues to climb up the Seminoles’ all-time wins list, with nearly 150 career wins in singles and doubles. Sophomore Clint Bowles also has shown talent, rolling up a combined 21-13 singles record in the fall and spring seasons.

For the Cavaliers, Inglot is expected to demonstrate the same leadership he has shown all season. Inglot recently was named the ACC Player of the Week after an undefeated week during which he knocked off Georgia Tech sophomore Guillermo Gomez, who at the time was the ACC’s top-ranked singles player.

According to weather.com, Friday’s high in Coral Gables will be 83 degrees, with 60 percent humidity. Sunday in Tallahassee, the high will be 73 degrees, with 60 percent humidity. With these warm weather conditions in mind, coach Brian Boland said he looks forward to this weekend’s matches.

“We want to play in difficult situations,” Boland said. “And where it’s really hot — we’re hoping that with each match we get closer and closer to being our best at the end of April.”