Around the ACC

Paulus to Packers?

Greg Paulus seems to take a lot of heat from fans around the ACC, but he is undeniably an athlete in the truest sense. The graduating senior point guard from Duke reportedly worked out in Durham in front of representatives from the Green Bay Packers last week. According to the Associated Press, Paulus threw to Duke wide receiver Eron Riley during the workout on campus.

Though Paulus is well-known as a college basketball player, he was an accomplished high school quarterback at Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, N.Y. Both Notre Dame and Miami offered him football scholarships. Paulus compiled 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdowns in 45 games, of which Christian Brothers won 42. He was all-state all four years, and started in the U.S. Army All-American game. Given the choice between football and basketball, however, Paulus elected to play for Duke coach Mike Kryzewski, becoming the only one of the five male Paulus siblings not to play Division 1A college football.

The NFL Draft is scheduled April 25-26.   

Baseball

Virginia Tech has long been a cellar-dweller in baseball, but last weekend it found success it has never experienced before. The Hokies swept Maryland in College Park during the weekend for their first series sweep in conference play since they joined the ACC before the 2004-05 season, and their first ACC series victory since April 11-13 of last season, when they won two of three games at Wake Forest. The Hokies defeated the Terrapins 5-3 Friday, 4-3 Saturday and 5-3 Sunday, dropping Maryland to 15-20 and 4-14 in conference play.

Men’s Lacrosse

Duke’s victory against then-unbeaten Virginia Saturday was the final game among the four ACC teams, and put three teams in a three-way tie for first at 2-1. Because each team posted 1-1 records against the other two, tiebreaking rules dictated that the seeding be decided by goals allowed in ACC play. Maryland is therefore the No. 1 seed, with 18 goals allowed, Duke the No. 2 seed with 21 goals allowed and Virginia the No. 3 seed with 24 goals allowed.

The ACC Tournament begins next Friday at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill. Maryland will take on North Carolina in game one and Virginia will seek its revenge against Duke in game two.

—compiled by Paul Montana