Golfers prepare to tee off at 54-hole River Landing Tournament

The No. 42 Virginia men’s golf team will head to Wallace, N.C. this weekend to compete in the River Landing Intercollegiate, a two-day 54-hole tournament hosted by N.C. State. The event will include 36 holes Friday and 18 Saturday at the par-72, 6,942-yard River Landing Country Club.

The Cavaliers hope to continue building off their solid play in March, during which they finished either first or second in three of the four tournaments they entered. Their most recent showing was a second-place finish at the Hootie @ Bulls Bay Tournament in Awendaw, S.C., which featured nine teams ranked in the top 50. Virginia finished ahead of seven teams with a higher ranking, including No. 5 Clemson and No. 14 South Carolina.

Sophomore Will Collins leads the Cavaliers with a 72.35 stroke average. His fourth-place finish at the Hootie @ Bulls Bay Tournament marked his third top-5 finish in his last four outings. His 6-under 207 total was the best tournament score of his career as a Cavalier, and it was the fourth time he has placed in the top 10 of an event.

Sophomore Amory Davis and freshman Bruce Woodall recently placed in the top 10 at the Rehoboth Beach Spring Invitational, an 18-hole event hosted Monday by UPenn. Davis fired a 73 to finish fourth individually, while Woodall posted a 74 to earn seventh place. Woodall will make the start this weekend; Davis will play as a non-scoring individual.

Four of the fifteen teams competing in this weekend’s event are ranked in the top 50, N.C. State (15), Wake Forest (26), Virginia (42) and Michigan (45). Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia Tech also are scheduled to compete.
—compiled by Nick Eilerson