Golfers struggle Sunday, finish championships in ninth place

The Virginia men’s golf team shot a final round 2-over 290 Sunday to finish ninth at the 54-hole ACC Championships at the Old North State Club in New London, N.C.

The team’s 5-over 869 total was one shot behind Virginia Tech and North Carolina, and three shots back of sixth-place Maryland. No. 9 Georgia Tech won its third conference title in the last four years with a total of 846, three shots ahead of No. 3 Clemson. Defending conference champion No. 23 Florida State finished 10th at 875.

The Cavaliers were squarely in contention after Friday’s opening round team score of 3-over 291, just 10 shots behind frontrunner Georgia Tech and neck-and-neck with several other teams. They failed to make a run during the next two rounds, however, shooting 288 Saturday and 290 Sunday.

Junior Kyle Stough led the Cavaliers with a 2-over 218 tournament total, good for a 20th-place finish. Sophomore Will Collins opened play with an unimpressive first-round score of 83 but bounced back with a bogie-free 66 the next day, the best single round score of the tournament to that point. He shot 70 Sunday to total 219 and finish in 24th place. Senior Conrad Von Borsig came in 27th with a 220 total, and freshmen Ben Kohles and Bruce Woodall tied for 40th with scores of 223.

Virginia returns to action April 25 and 26 to host the annual Cavalier Classic at the Birdwood Golf Course. It is the team’s last regular season tournament before NCAA Regionals begin May 14.

—compiled by Nick Eilerson