Parker pounds homer, Cavs crush Seawolves

Barely beyond the halfway point of the 2009 season, the Virginia baseball team has already hit 30 home runs.

With sophomore centerfielder Jarrett Parker’s ninth bomb of the year last night, the Cavaliers reached the 30-home run mark for the fourth time in coach Brian O’Connor’s six-year tenure as Virginia cruised past Stony Brook in an 8-0 win.

The most home runs O’Connor has ever seen in his time at Virginia came in 2005, when the Cavaliers belted 35.

Senior pitcher Robert Poutier earned his third win in just his fourth start of the season, allowing five hits and two walks in five innings while striking out eight. Sophomore pitcher Robert Morey entered to start the sixth and delivered four shutout innings while allowing two hits. Junior designated hitter Michael Stephan was the only Seawolf to reach base more than once last night, as he knocked a single and a double.

The win yesterday proved far easier than the last time around against Stony Brook. Last season, the Cavaliers won two games of a doubleheader 6-4 and 3-0, needing a five-run eighth inning in game one to emerge with a victory. Junior right fielder Jeremy Nowak torched Virginia for four hits in eight at-bats in the two-game set last season; last night, Nowak went 0-4 with two strikeouts.

Virginia (27-5, 8-5 ACC) pelted Stony Brook starting pitcher senior Jonathan Kalkau early, as he allowed three runs on three hits and five walks in the first two innings. Jonathan rebounded to pitch a scoreless third but was replaced by sophomore pitcher Joe Goglia in the fourth, who allowed three runs on four hits in his first inning of work.

The Cavaliers tacked on their final two runs on Parker’s two-run shot in the eighth off junior pitcher Matt Harloff.

Each of the three hitters at the top of Virginia’s lineup had multi-hit performances — Parker, sophomore left fielder John Barr and sophomore second baseman Phil Gosselin. Sophomore first baseman Tyler Biddix also had a multi-hit night in his first start of the season, coming up with two hits and a walk.

The Cavaliers return for the second part of their two-game tilt against Stony Brook tonight at Davenport Field.

—compiled by Paul Montana